Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raaf

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Pego View Post
    Cerebral dominance is a fascinating subject and far more complicated than people think.
    I'm right side dominant, so if I "long" jumped, I would take off on my right foot. I noticed though, that if I was backpacking and jumping to a rock in a stream, I would take off on my left leg. I have since read that the mind recognizes which is more important, getting the maximum distance from the stronger leg pushing off, or getting the maximum stability by landing on the stronger, stabilizing leg. Reading this thread, I am curious as to whether triple jumpers get mixed signals in their head and do they have to train to overcome these natural instincts?
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Master403 View Post
      I'm right side dominant, so if I "long" jumped, I would take off on my right foot. I noticed though, that if I was backpacking and jumping to a rock in a stream, I would take off on my left leg. I have since read that the mind recognizes which is more important, getting the maximum distance from the stronger leg pushing off, or getting the maximum stability by landing on the stronger, stabilizing leg. Reading this thread, I am curious as to whether triple jumpers get mixed signals in their head and do they have to train to overcome these natural instincts?
      Since the cortical function is so complex and intricate, utilizing it to your best advantage is in essence what we call talent.
      Many years ago, I had a good fortune to meet a preeminent neurophysiologist Sir John Eccles. Sir John considered Henry Aaron the best example of muscular coordination.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Pego View Post
        Since the cortical function is so complex and intricate, utilizing it to your best advantage is in essence what we call talent.
        Many years ago, I had a good fortune to meet a preeminent neurophysiologist Sir John Eccles. Sir John considered Henry Aaron the best example of muscular coordination.
        Really? I find that amazing coming from an Australian. But it does say something about Henry Aaron - that most Merkans knew all along.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          Really? I find that amazing coming from an Australian. But it does say something about Henry Aaron - that most Merkans knew all along.
          Indeed....Bradman in his prime was something to behold by all accounts....

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Master403 View Post
            . Reading this thread, I am curious as to whether triple jumpers get mixed signals in their head and do they have to train to overcome these natural instincts?
            I was a 25' right, 23' left foot Broad Jumper in college.The only time we practiced Hop-Step-Jump was Olympic year 1952. In HSJ, I was a foot better RRL, with two dominant leg phases, than LLR. I never overcame my natural instinct. It was/is awkward jumping off my left. In HJ, I straddled from the right off my right and scissored off my right from the left.

            Comment

            Working...
            X