Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magnificent Seven Leave It To Beaver

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who competed in two events during one Olympic Games in Europe.

This champion did not win the Olympic gold medal in the hurdles.

Our birthday athlete was born 129 years ago, about two months after Dwight David Eisenhower, and died at the age of 74, the day after the 1965 Compton Invitational.

You may already know that this athlete shares the same initials as two actors. One of those two actors was famous for a television show and the other appeared in a well-known film.

I imagine you can figure this one out fairly quickly. Good luck on this third Sunday in December.

well, the inititals part is easy enough!

Comment

Maybe I set the bar too high.

Comment

Random guess - Jim Thorpe.

Comment

there's no JT in the movie or TV show

Comment

Jim Thorpe and our birthday athlete did win gold medals in the same European city. In fact, the two of them competed against each other in the same event at that city.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
              Jim Thorpe and our birthday athlete did win gold medals in the same European city. In fact, the two of them competed against each other in the same event at that city.
              That means its either Alma Richards or Albert Gutterson, as he competed in the high jump and long jump in addition to the multis. But I don't see how that correlates with the TV show (must be Leave it to Beaver). Tony Dow, Hugh Beaumont, Barbara Billingsley, Jerry Mathers. Doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                That means its either Alma Richards or Albert Gutterson, as he competed in the high jump and long jump in addition to the multis. But I don't see how that correlates with the TV show (must be Leave it to Beaver). Tony Dow, Hugh Beaumont, Barbara Billingsley, Jerry Mathers. Doesn't fit.
                Harry Babcock at least fits those initials, not sure about the other clues.

Comment

Harry Babcock it is. Nice job, LopenUupunut. Babcock, of course won the pole vault in Stockholm (1912) and two days later entered the decathlon. He retired after less than five events completed and did not finish the Olympic decathlon won by Jim Thorpe. Babcock was only 21 in Stockholm and lived another 53 years.

Comment

so, without looking, who played the Magnificent Seven? (hint: one of them has the initials HB :-)

Comment

Horst Buchholtz.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The Blob, The King and I, House of Wax, Charade, The Towering Inferno, and Von Ryan's Express.

The seven actors of "The Magnificent Seven" all made other motion pictures during their careers. You already know Horst Buchholtz. The six films listed above are pictures the other six actors appeared in during their careers.
                        Last edited by DoubleRBar; 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                          The Blob, The King and I, House of Wax, Charade, The Towering Inferno, and Von Ryan's Express.

The seven actors of "The Magnificent Seven" all made other motion pictures during their careers. You already know Horst Buchholtz. The six films listed above are pictures the other six actors appeared in during their careers.
                          Besides Buchholtz, I can name only 5 others. Brynner, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn and Vaughn. No idea who the actor portraying Harry is.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                            Besides Buchholtz, I can name only 5 others. Brynner, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn and Vaughn. No idea who the actor portraying Harry is.
                            Brad Dexter

Comment

That's it; The Magnificent Seven.

Comment

Working...
                              X