Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and "CS" needs an "A" after it

Comment

Happy birthday yesterday (Wednesday) to Calvin Smith (59) and nice job, Master403. Smith, of course won his only Olympic gold medal in Los Angeles (1984) when he ran the third leg on the winning U.S. four by 100 relay team. They set a world record of 37.83 with Calvin running his third leg in 9.41. Anchorman Carl Lewis ran 8.94 and the U.S. beat Jamaica by 0.79 of a second.

I never thought about the fact that Calvin Smith set his world 100 record in a city with his same initials (Colorado Springs). I would guess that this is very uncommon. Can anyone name another world record holder who set that world mark in a city with the same initials as the athlete that set the world record there?

Another easier trivia question is: Who anchored the silver medal Jamaican men's four by 100 relay team in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics?

Comment

My first thought is Don Quarrie, but I wonder if he was too old by then.

Comment

Quarrie ran third leg.

Comment

Yes, Quarrie gave the baton to this anchorman. Don Quarrie was 33 in Los Angeles (1984).

Comment

Good question! At first, I thought it was Carl Lewis. Anyway, I'm still trying to find out.

Comment

Working...
              X