• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoubleRBar
    • Jan 2011
    • Mineral City

Paul and Ringo

Happy 68th birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who did not win that medal in the hurdles.

Our birthday athlete did win that Olympic gold medal approximately 8,935 miles (14,381 km) from the place of this champion's birth.

Some of you already know that this person was the first in track and field history to accomplish a certain feat.

Others of you know that this athlete competed in two Olympic Games, both on the same continent, and in three different events.

Please don't be fooled by our birthday athlete's last name when you might be wondering about this person's event.

Time is up and now you can name our birthday individual for this second of four Sundays in January.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 01-12-2020, 04:40 PM.
  • Olli
    • Sep 2011

It seems I am again the first to reply. Often I take a look at the message board when it is around 6 p.m. here where I am living, and often I find a birthday quiz waiting replies.

This athlete is born in 1952, so (s)he might have competed in 1972 and 1980 or 1976 and 1984. The distance from his/her birthplace to the Olympic city seems rather long.

The clue concerning the athlete's last name suggests it might be Walker, who was actually a runner. Moreover, New Zealand is far from everywhere (except Australia). I must admit that I do not remember whether John Walker competed in Los Angeles, but he might have. So he is the best guess I can think of.

Comment

• tandfman
      • Oct 2005

Yes, Sir. I think that's a good guess, considering the subject title.

Comment

• thedoorknobbroke
        • Jul 2017
        • SoCal

Originally posted by Olli View Post
        It seems I am again the first to reply. Often I take a look at the message board when it is around 6 p.m. here where I am living, and often I find a birthday quiz waiting replies.

This athlete is born in 1952, so (s)he might have competed in 1972 and 1980 or 1976 and 1984. The distance from his/her birthplace to the Olympic city seems rather long.

The clue concerning the athlete's last name suggests it might be Walker, who was actually a runner. Moreover, New Zealand is far from everywhere (except Australia). I must admit that I do not remember whether John Walker competed in Los Angeles, but he might have. So he is the best guess I can think of.
        If John Walker competed in LA he did not make the m1500 final.

Comment

• Pego
          • Oct 2005
          • beyond help

Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
          If John Walker competed in LA he did not make the m1500 final.
          I think, he won in Montreal.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• DoubleRBar
            • Jan 2011
            • Mineral City

Happy 68th birthday today to John George Walker, winner of the 1976 Montreal 1,500. Very well done, Olli. Walker also ran the 800 in Montreal, but did not make that final.

In Los Angeles (1984), John Walker was eighth place in the 5,000. Most of you know that he was the first person in history to run the mile under 3:50.

Comment

• Olli
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
              Yes, Sir. I think that's a good guess, considering the subject title.
              That part I did not understand, but if he is John George I think I got it.

Comment

Working...
              X