Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Olympians Judged First

Happy birthday today (Tuesday) to two Olympic champions born a total of 240 years ago this day in January.

Our birthday athletes were born approximately 5,157 miles (8,300 km) from each other yet they represented the same nation at the Olympic Games.

One of these two champions was 64 years old when the other person was born.

These two athletes competed in a total of seven Olympic Games, winning a total of five Olympic gold medals and two Olympic silver medals.

You may already know that our birthday champions competed at the Olympics in every continent except South America, Africa, and Antarctica.

Both people competed in similar events at the Olympics and one of these two champions carried the national flag at the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic Games.

The younger of the two died at the age of 75 while the older athlete died at the age of 70.

Born on a Tuesday some 152 years ago today, this champion won an Olympic silver medal in an event which is no longer contested at the Olympics.

I imagine you must know both of these Olympic greats. Go ahead and name our birthday athletes for this final Tuesday of January.

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    You may already know that our birthday champions competed at the Olympics in every continent except South America, Africa, and Antarctica.
    Thank you, DoubleRBar. I never would have figured out that these champions didn't compete in the Olympics in Africa or Antarctica. :-)

Comment

You are very welcome. Glad that any help I can give will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Its JF and PO and they had to have been born in 1868 and 1932.

JF must be John Flanagan.

Comment

Then PO would be Parry O'Brien.

Comment

Very well done, bambam1729 and tandfman. John Flanagan and Parry O'Brien are our birthday athletes for today. Flanagan was born about three years after President Lincoln was murdered. Flanagan won three Olympic gold medals in the hammer throw (1900, 1904, and 1908). He won an Olympic silver medal in the 56 pound weight throw as well (1904).

Parry O'Brien won two Olympic gold medals in the shot put (1952 & 1956). He took the silver medal in Rome (1960) and finished fourth in Tokyo (1964). He also carried the U.S. flag in the Opening Ceremonies in Tokyo (1964).

Question for today: Who do you think should carry the American flag this July in Tokyo? Of course you will have to assume that person will make the U.S. team to Tokyo.

Comment

Simone Biles

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                Simone Biles
                That flag will look huge!

Comment

I think she would be "up' to it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                    Simone Biles
                    She and Katie Ledecky should share the honor!

Comment

Question for today: Who do you think should carry the American flag this July in Tokyo? Of course you will have to assume that person will make the U.S. team to Tokyo.
                      Joe Kovacs or Ryan Crouser. Let’s have someone imposing.

Comment

For interest, here are the athletics Olympians to carry the USA flag at the Opening Ceremony:

1908 Ralph Rose
                        1912 George Bonhag
                        1920 Pat McDonald
                        1924 Pat McDonald
                        1928 Bud Houser
                        1932 Morgan Taylor
                        1960 Rafer Johnson
                        1964 Parry O'Brien
                        1972 Olga Fikotov√°-Connolly
                        1984 Ed Burke
                        1988 Evelyn Ashford
                        2008 Lopez Lomong

Comment

I think past Olympians should be considered also. My choice would be Carl Lewis. Hey, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                            I think past Olympians should be considered also. My choice would be Carl Lewis. Hey, just saying.
                            For Opening Ceremony Flagbearer the USA flagbearer has always been an athlete competing in the current Olympics - never a retired Olympian. That is reserved for the torchebearers and the athletes/functionaries that bring in the Olympic Flag.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              For Opening Ceremony Flagbearer the USA flagbearer has always been an athlete competing in the current Olympics - never a retired Olympian. That is reserved for the torchebearers and the athletes/functionaries that bring in the Olympic Flag.
                              Ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X