Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Olympic Marathon Trials

Anyone know the standard for the 1976 United State Olympic marathon trials in Eugene? I believe it was around 2:30, but I would like to know the exact time. Thanks for any help you can give.

By the way, the women's standard this year for our marathon trials is 2:37.

There was no qualifying time in 1976 for the marathon. First year marathon had a qualifying time was 1992. Email me if you want the list of all Olympic qualifying standards.

Comment

Oops, sorry - you asked for US Olympic qualifying standards. Don't have that. I only have the Olympic qualifying standards from the IAAF

Comment

In 1976 there definitely was a qualifying time. I think it was 2:23 and you had to pay your own way....sub 2:20 and they paid expenses.

I remember watching Ken Moore getting a qualifying time in a race with just a couple of other guys.

In 1972 the qualifying time was 2:30.

Comment

In 1980 it was 2:20...

Comment

2:23 in 1976
            Last edited by gm; 01-29-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Was it?

I thought they lowered it in 1980....my brother was intent on qualifying at Boston and went out in 5:20s he was on pace for awhile but it was 90 that day....and it did not end well...

Of course that was the Trials that turned out to be irrelevant.

Comment

I think for quite a few years the 1980 US Trials held the 'record' of the race with the most runners under 2:20?

Comment

Boston 1983 had 76 US men under 2:20...

Comment

"Fifty-six runners broke 2:20, making this the fastest field in history--eclipsing the perfect-condition Boston of 1978, when 54 bettered that mark."

Also the 1980 Trials qualifying time was 2:21:54...

https://www.runnersworld.com/advance...rip-to-moscow/

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                      Anyone know the standard for the 1976 United State Olympic marathon trials in Eugene? I believe it was around 2:30, but I would like to know the exact time. Thanks for any help you can give.

By the way, the women's standard this year for our marathon trials is 2:37.
                      2:37 is the "A" standard that gets expenses paid.

2:45 is the "B" standard that gains entry to the race. The great majority of Trials qualifiers and entrants are "B" runners.

In fact, there will be more women at the Trials start line with qualifiers between 2:44:00 and 2:45:00 than there will be "A" qualifiers with times sub-2:37.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post
                        2:37 is the "A" standard that gets expenses paid.

2:45 is the "B" standard that gains entry to the race. The great majority of Trials qualifiers and entrants are "B" runners.

In fact, there will be more women at the Trials start line with qualifiers between 2:44:00 and 2:45:00 than there will be "A" qualifiers with times sub-2:37.
                        Interesting stat. That suggests to me there are many runners who have gone all out to break 2:45 just to be able to run the trial? Don't blame them it's a more accessible Olympic trail than most.

Comment

Does the Atlanta course replicate the terrain of the (as of now) Olympic marathon course?

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                            Interesting stat. That suggests to me there are many runners who have gone all out to break 2:45 just to be able to run the trial? Don't blame them it's a more accessible Olympic trail than most.
                            Definitely....almost like a fast fun run.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                              Does the Atlanta course replicate the terrain of the (as of now) Olympic marathon course?
                              Do we even know which city will host the marathon?

Comment

Working...
                              X