Worst Runners Accesory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Runners Accesory

Recently I have become aware of some running inovations of the past that weren't that successful. One such was the insta-pulse a relay baton type thing that when you grabed with your hands gripped over sensors gave you a readingof your heart rate. I wondered if there were other examples of great inovations like this that never really took off.

Re: Worst Runners Accesory

Didn't Salazar run around in 1984 wearing some sort of mask that supposedly simulated high altitude?

Comment

I've always wondered what Joan Benoit had in her shorts when she won gold. Looked like a cigarette lighter but I can't imagine that was what it was.

Comment

Watches that beeped a stride cadence for a particular pace, Moye track starting blocks, parachute resistance devices, hooded speed suits, device to keep fingers from getting pinched when adjusting hurdle heights, the varus wedge, Rod Dixson's helmet cam (sorry, I had to throw that one in), ...

Comment

Any magazine that gives advice from Galloway.

Comment

Nasal strips but I have a hard time getting past the fact that Paula uses them.

Comment

Back around 1960 or 1961 I finagled my High School coach into buying a " Don Canham weight jacket" that was advertised in, you guessed it..... Track & Field News. It was a vest with pockets for various slabs of metal, so you could train , particularly for the high jump, with extra weight. Then in a meet, without the jacket, VOILA ! you would be a champion.

Did not work for me, that's for sure.

Comment

>Watches that beeped a stride cadence for a
                >particular pace, Moye track starting blocks,
                >parachute resistance devices, hooded speed suits,
                >device to keep fingers from getting pinched when
                >adjusting hurdle heights, the varus wedge, Rod
                >Dixson's helmet cam (sorry, I had to throw that
                >one in), ...

Actually parachutes are used for training by some sprinters and other sprint athletes.

Hooded speed suits make sense...just never use them for the first time at the Olympics (Chet Kyle showed the aerodynamic advantage of them).

Gotta agree with the beeping cadence watches.

Comment

You are correct on both accounts. I was answering more on a 'fad' line of thinking than the actual question of 'worst'. When they first came out, many high schools and colleges alike, strapped on parachutes and expected big improvements without regard for when/where/purpose in training. Same with the speed suits. Once introduced in the olympics, many, at all levels, wore them for about a year, then they were never seen again. Coincidentally, the Florida swim team, in their glory days, used the parachutes extensively. On land in the form of sprints. Not in the pool.

Comment

http://www.harryjerome.com/

This link takes you to a picture of Canadian 400m record holder Tyler Chrisotopher wearing a hooded speed suit at the recent Harry Jerome Track Classic.

Who else wears these things these days?
                    What are the fastest 100m, 200m, and 400m ever run in hooded speed suits? (Not trivia--I have no idea what the answers might be.)

Comment

Haven't those things been around for a while?

Comment

I can't remember when was their peak popularity, but I thought they had fallen out of fashion and/or proven to be unhelpful.

Comment

> Nasal strips but I have a hard time getting past the fact that Paula uses them.

So does Rupp. Both athletes lose points in my book for wearing these dumbass devices.

Comment

>I can't remember when was their peak popularity, but I thought they had fallen
                            >out of fashion and/or proven to be unhelpful.

I think some of our Olympic sprinters wore them in either '88 or '92... they looked like TOTAL DORKS.

Comment

> Nasal strips but I have a hard time getting past the fact that Paula uses them.>

What is supposed to be their purpose?
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X