Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We will see...........

.....the Arizona Cardinals rule the NFL, and a white heavyweight boxing champ before we see that sizzlin'19.32 bettered. We will witness peace in the Middle East before we see a sub 19.50. We will have a woman president before we see a sub 19.60.

I have that amazing sprint on video and everytime I watch it it sends chills up my spine, what an incredible run. It's almost...hell with that ..it is more like a supernatural occurance instead of just another track and field record.

Here it is going on 7 years after the fact and we have yet to see anything anywhere close to 19.80 much less 19.40...hahaha!!! I honestly believe that record will stand forever. Yep I think we saw something that night in Atlanta that we'll never see again.

Poof gone!

Re: We will see...........

>.....the Arizona Cardinals rule the NFL, and a
    >white heavyweight boxing champ before we see that
    >sizzlin'19.32 bettered. We will witness peace in
    >the Middle East before we see a sub 19.50. We
    >will have a woman president before we see a sub
    >19.60.

I have that amazing sprint on
    >video and everytime I watch it it sends chills up
    >my spine, what an incredible run. It's
    >almost...hell with that ..it is more like a
    >supernatural occurance instead of just another
    >track and field record.

Here it is going
    >on 7 years after the fact and we have yet to see
    >anything anywhere close to 19.80 much less
    >19.40...hahaha!!! I honestly believe that record
    >will stand forever. Yep I think we saw something
    >that night in Atlanta that we'll never see again.
    >

Poof gone!

Well, we'll probably see a white heavyweight champ in the next three or four years, the way the E. Europeans are slowly working their way through the ranks in the larger and larger numbers. Unless boxing's factions continue to fix so many fights, and present us with "champs" like Lennox Lewis.

MJ was so full of chemicals in that run, it looked like he was going to burst. Go ahead, scream, cry. Say it's unfounded. But ... records, no matter how they are set, are broken. We'll see a sub 19.6 and sub 19.5 probably a lot sooner than you think. Someone will crawl out of the woodwork. Always happens. Always will.

You'll see athletic and sporting feat you've mentioned before you see peace in the Middle East. Hell, we may see Peace there before we see a fully thought out, intelligent post from Brutal.

Comment

What evidence do you have that MJ was on "chemicals"?

Comment

I side with the guy claiming chemicals. Take a look at MJ's physical progression during his career. That means take a look at pictures of the guy. Hoo hah. He had every sign, including the wax fruit look to his muscles as it's called.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal
          .....the Arizona Cardinals rule the NFL, and a white heavyweight boxing champ before we see that sizzlin'19.32 bettered. We will witness peace in the Middle East before we see a sub 19.50. We will have a woman president before we see a sub 19.60.

I have that amazing sprint on video and everytime I watch it it sends chills up my spine, what an incredible run. It's almost...hell with that ..it is more like a supernatural occurance instead of just another track and field record.

Here it is going on 7 years after the fact and we have yet to see anything anywhere close to 19.80 much less 19.40...hahaha!!! I honestly believe that record will stand forever. Yep I think we saw something that night in Atlanta that we'll never see again.
          Avante, ( as you are now known ) I happened across this epistle of yours from 2003... what sayest thou now ?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            Originally posted by Brutal

Avante, ( as you are now known ) I happened across this epistle of yours from 2003... what sayest thou now ?
            As you can see I nailed it. Obviously I was talking the American record there 8-) No American at sub 19.55 and it's been over 13 years.

Take an alien from the planet Speedar out of the mix and that 19.32 still rules as a World Record.

Ok in all seriousness. Usain Bolt has amazed us all. He's at another level we've never seen before. Nope I didn't see it coming. I did however see Americans as no real threat to that 19.32 and they haven't been. Then there's Roy Martin's HS 20.13 still standing strong after 20 some years.

Comment

Very interesting to see all these years later that the Cardinals, if not ruling the NFL, are doing very well and we've had multiple white heavyweight champs. You just never know!
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                Very interesting to see all these years later that the Cardinals, if not ruling the NFL, are doing very well and we've had multiple white heavyweight champs. You just never know!
                There was always two parts to me rant. One was longevity, the other was what it would take to run a sub19.32. I talked about a guy with 400m ability as opposed to just another speedster like a Mo Greene, Frankie Fredericks. Yes I know all sprinters can run a decent 400m. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about someone who actually had a history in the event like Usain Bolt. No 100m/non 400 experience sprinter has held the 200m record since before Henry Carr in the mid 60's. Obviously it's the longevity aspect of it that gets kicked around, yep...human nature :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Avante
                  No 100m/non 400 experience sprinter has held the 200m record since before Henry Carr in the mid 60's.:
                  I'm sure he must have run some open or relay quarters at USC, but I very much doubt Quarrie was a 400 guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    No 100m/non 400 experience sprinter has held the 200m record since before Henry Carr in the mid 60's.:
                    I'm sure he must have run some open or relay quarters at USC, but I very much doubt Quarrie was a 400 guy.
                    He actually ran a leg on Jamaica's Olympic 4x4 team so....

When did Quarriie hold the record?

19.19 Usain Bolt JAM Berlin (WC) 2009-08-20
                    19.30 Usain Bolt JAM Beijing (OG) 2008-08-20
                    19.32 Michael Johnson USA Atlanta (OG) 1996-08-01
                    19.66 Michael Johnson USA Atlanta 1996-06-23
                    19.72 Pietro Mennea ITA Ciudad de México 1979-09-12
                    19.83 Tommie Smith USA Ciudad de México (OG) 1968-10-16
                    19.92 John Carlos USA Echo Summit 1968-09-12
                    20.14 Tommie Smith USA Provo 1967-06-17
                    20.36 Henry Carr USA Tokyo (OG) 1964-10-17

Actually Carlos's time was disallowed because of ilegal spikes. Yes I know...silly. So if we look at that above list we see....Carr, Smith, Mennea and MJ who could all run a sub 45.00 4x4 leg and did. Bolt was running 45.3 at 16 or so. All had 400m credentials.

Comment

He had two HT 19.8's ( 1971, 1975) which were "faster"( ??? !!) than Smith's 1968 19.83.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

He had two HT 19.8's ( 1971, 1975) which were "faster"( ??? !!) than Smith's 1968 19.83.
                        I know that but we aren't talking hand times here. Even if we count Quarrie that means...

Mennea...Olympic 4x4
                        Quarrie....Olympic 4x4
                        Smith....WR 400
                        MJ...WR400
                        Bolt....days after his 200m WR, will he go for the 400m WR?

There is a 400m connection there.

Comment

Quarrie equalled Tommie's 19.8 HT with his own 19.8 HT. The IAAF didn't recognize the FAT times till 1975. EVERY sprinter has had to run a 400 at some time or another, so I guess they ALL qualify for your statement. To state the current reincarnation of Bolt is a 400 guy belies his own statements that he became a 100/200 guy in 2007.

Comment

Quarrie equalled Tommie's 19.8 HT with his own 19.8 HT. The IAAF didn't recognize the FAT times till 1975. EVERY sprinter has had to run a 400 at some time or another, so I guess they ALL qualify for your statement. To state the current reincarnation of Bolt is a 400 guy belies his own statements that he became a 100/200 guy in 2007.
                            You are misunderstanding my statement. Usain Bolt started out as a 400/200 sprinter. He was first noticed running the 400. Henry Carr anchored his Arizona St 4x4 team/Olympic team to world records. He was also a 45.6ish guy. Tommie Smith held the 400 World Record. Pietro Mennea set the European indoor record in the 400 and was a 44.2 4x4 man for Italy, he anchored their Olympic team. MJ holds the 400 World Record. There is a little more involvement there than..."they all run a 400 sometime".

Let's take it a little deeper...

Roy Martin the HS 200 record holder...a 44.5 relayer
                            Kenteris started out as a 400m man
                            Allyson Felix current top ranked 200m, also ranked 4th in the 400m
                            Sanya Richards current top ranked in the 400m, also ranked 5th in the 200m
                            Henry Carr was a better 200m sprinter than Bullet Bob, who was the better 400m man?
                            Tommie Smith was the better 200m sprinter than Jimmy Hines, who was the better 400m man?
                            Pietro Mennea was the better 200m sprinter than Allan Wells, who was the better 400m man?
                            MJ was the better 200m sprinter than Frankie Fredericks and Ato Boldon, who was the better 400m man?
                            Usain Bolt is a better 200m man than Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, who is the better 400m man?
                            John Regis was the better 200m man than Linford Christie, who was the better 400m man?

Remember when JC star Derald Harris won the Nationals in the 200? Mid 70's. It was..who? He was a Cali State champ in the 400. Did you see Bryshon Nellum the 200/400 man vs Javid Best the 100/200m a few years ago at the Cali State meet? Familiar with New Mexico's Adolph Plummer a 44.9 guy and the 200m Nationals?

The bottom line is that it wasn't Bob Hayes, Jimmy Hines, Allan Wells, Frankie Fredericks, Ato Boldon, Tyson Gay winning that Olympic 200m and setting that 200m world record. It was Henry Carr, Pietro Mennea, Tommie Smith, MJ and Usain Bolt, all guys who either ran on Olympic 4x4 teams, set 400m WR 's or ran sub 45.4 as a teenager.

paste....

Performing for Jamaica in his..... first.... Caribbean regional event, Bolt clocked a personal best of 48.28 s in the 400 metres in the 2001 CARIFTA Games, winning a silver medal. The 200 m also yielded a silver as Bolt finished in 21.81 s.[16]

He made his first appearance on the world stage at the 2001 IAAF World Youth Championships in Debrecen, Hungary. Running in the 200 m event, he failed to qualify for the finals, but he still set a new personal best of 21.73 s.Bolt still did not take athletics or himself too seriously, however, and he took his mischievousness to new heights by hiding in the back of a van when he was supposed to be preparing for the 200 m finals at the CARIFTA Trials. He was detained by the police for his practical joke, and there was an outcry from the local community, which blamed coach McNeil for the incident. However, the controversy subsided, and both McNeil and Bolt went to the CARIFTA Games, where Bolt set championship records in the 200 m and 400 m with times of 21.12 s and 47.33 s, respectively.[16] He continued to set records with 20.61 s and 47.12 s finishes at the Central American and Caribbean Junior Championships.

Now is that a...."they might run a 400 sometime"...?

1. Mike Larrabee USA 44.9
                            2 Ulis Williams USA 45.0
                            3 Ollan Cassell USA 45.6
                            3 Henry Carr USA 45.6 * ******
                            5 Bob Tobler USA 45.7 *A
                            6 David Archibald USA 46.0 *
                            7 Theron Lewis USA 46.1
                            8 Tommie Smith USA 46.2 *
                            8 William Boyle USA 46.2
                            8 Adolph Plummer USA 46.2

paste...

Mennea ran the anchor leg for Italy in both relay finals, bringing them home to a fifth place finish in the 4 x 100m and a seventh place finish in the 4 x 400m, in which he clocked an amazing 44.2sec in his tenth race of the championships. Mennea maintained active participation in study well into his late twenties, and this qualified him to compete at his third World University Games in Mexico City in 1979, where he won gold medals in the 200m and the 4 x 400m relay. The time that Pietro recorded in his 200m victory was 19.72sec, which set a new world record.

I'm on page 31 of the latest T&FN. What do we see talking about Bolt? His 46.35 and 45.54. Then there's..."MJ endorsed the concept "Bolt is good enought to run 42 seconds".....then Bolt says..."the 400 WR still doesn't give me any motivation........" Now do we see this 400m talk if Bolt didn't have 400m ability? This is not...."he might run a 400 sometime".

Comment

Working...
                            X