Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Athletes of the Century....your thoughts??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billthedog
    replied
    Re: Greatest Athletes of the Century....your thoughts??

>Jim Thorpe hands down. Probably the most
    >naturally all around gifted athlete ever.
    You rerally sure that he'a better than Robinson? Did he ever try tennis or golf?
    Bill Allen

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Marion Jones is a great all-arounder as is Canadian Hayley Wickenhaiser, who represents Canada in both hockey and soccer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

One more thing...I remember the time that NBC had televised some kind of little dinner for the athletes during one of the first World Champs and they went around the table asking people like Carl Lewis about their favorite athletes. They got to John Walker, and he replied, "Secretariat".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Best female? Babe Didrikson, I guess. But who is the greatest active female? Everybody seems to be even more specialized these days. I'm still impressed that Dragila used to do rodeo events!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Jim Thorpe hands down. Probably the most naturally all around gifted athlete ever.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>(Lennox is a bit tricky, almost had to
    >be
    >re-classified as a Canadian
    >on
    >Saturday).>>

You mean like the way Ben
    >Johnson went from being the pride of Canada to a
    >scummy Jamaican immigrant?

Guess Rusedski got
    >reclassified yesterday at Wimbledon too, right?

Yep...you got it! I don't think Rusedski has been accepted like Lennox though, probably because he's never won anything. Mind you, at least Lennox was born in the UK and lived there until he was 12. I've watched that fight 3 times now and think Lennox would have wacked Klitscho within another two rounds. Hope Mr. Boxing Guru isn't reading this and we're subjected to yet another history lesson and how useless Lennox is.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

(Lennox is a bit tricky, almost had to
    >be re-classified as a Canadian on
    >Saturday).>>

You mean like the way Ben Johnson went from being the pride of Canada to a scummy Jamaican immigrant?

Guess Rusedski got reclassified yesterday at Wimbledon too, right?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Pardon me but there is a huge difference to us Brits (English, Scottish, Welsh & N. Irish). An analogy would be if a Scot won the heavyweight championship we English would be proud of him as a Brit; if he lost horribly he'd be a useless Scotsman! (Lennox is a bit tricky, almost had to be re-classified as a Canadian on Saturday).

Seriously though, what record did he have? Not doubting you a la Sprintman, I'm just curious. Was it a HS one? He was a great rugby player, possibly the best ever. However, here's another piece of trivia...he's a fisherman and used to also hold the British Pike record, 45Lb 6oz (I think) in about 1989.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

A Welsh or British record...close enough

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That's odd, since he's Welsh!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

He set an English record in the 200 yard hurdles.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Gareth Edwards ran track? I didn't know that, what event? Off home in a sec to watch repeat of England duffing up Australia at rugby last weekend!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Here are some other great all-arounders: CB Fry (pro cricket & long jump world record), Seve Bobrov (played for Russian national hockey and soccer team), Bob Hayes, Deion Sanders, Ernie Nevers, Gareth Edwards (rugby, track), Eric Heiden (cycling, speed skating), Lionel Conacher, Bo Jackson and let's not forget the greatest athlete of the 19th century Donald Dinnie (track, weightlifting and wrestling)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm not sure anyone under 220 could beat Roy Jones. The way I look at it boxing in the 60's started a whole new era of bigger champions, better fighters and more $. Look at the fighters..Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Norton, Ali, etc. A whole new breed of fighting began then. There have been several different eras in boxing; I think the mid-90's started a new era, the superheavy era - Golota, Bowe, Klitschko bros, Lewis, etc.

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

Thorpe is surely a legitimate contender. Mathias played football -- for a Rose Bowl team, indeed -- and baketball, I think, in high school. Johnson probably could have done anything and maybe Thompson too, but they (and Mathias) were basically track and field athletes. I'll stick with Robinson. I wouldn't be so sure about the NBA, by the way. In his years he was better than anybody else in the PCC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X