• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest meet ever?

>How about a new twist. What was the greatest
    >road race of all time? This could include
    >Olympic Marathons.

Lopes' dismantling of the greatest marathoners of the day in 84 at the age of 37? has to be up there. Actually Joanie winning that year was pretty memorable after what she went through to get there-not much of a race in her case though.
    Famous last words-"She'll come back to us...".

Comment

One of my personal faves are the 1988 US Olympic Trials for so many reasons.

Flo Jo's 100m WR (followed by a 21.82 200m).
      7 men under 10s in the 100m(albeit wind-assisted).
      Joe DeLoach upsetting Carl in the 200m.
      6 men under 45 in the 400m (two of them under 44).
      The emergence of Gwen Torrence.
      JJK's heptathlon WR.
      JJK's windy 7.45m and Carol Lewis really putting her all into making the OG team.
      Mary Decker-Slaney doing the double.
      Edwin Moses defeating Danny Harris and Kevin Young (four men under 48s in that race).
      Willie Banks - 18.20m (windy)
      Lewis vs Myricks in the LJ.
      Greg Foster in the 110mH, wearing a plaster-cast on his arm!

May have missed some, but they're the pick of the crop. Absolutely amazing meet.

Comment

From what I have heard the Oly Trials up in Echo Summit, 1968, was the the Woodstock of all meets. (I don't mean the drugs and sex - I mean the ultimate experience)

Comment

>One of my personal faves are the 1988 US Olympic
          >Trials

Yes, great indeed. But the 1956 trials are hard to beat for performances (Morrow, Glenn Davis, Dumas, Lou Jones) and dramatic competition. I missed Eccho Summit in 1968. The AAU meet of 1983 surely rates. And for emotion, more than any particularly dramatic competition, the 1962 US-USSR meet stands above them all. And wqe did see two world records those days: Brumel and Connolly.

Comment

The AAU meet of 1983? Sorry, Bill. By that time it was TAC.

Comment

I vote for the '76 Trials in Eugene. Stayed in a dorm room a block from the track for $5/night. Read pages after page, literally, of coverage every day in the Eugene Register-Guard. And saw lots of great competition, of course, including the most exciting race I've ever seen - the 10,000 in which Gary Bjorklund, running with one bare foot after losing a shoe at about half way, managed to outkick Bill Rodgers for 3rd (behind Shorter and Virgin) to make the Team as the crowd was deafening, screaming and pounding on the wooden boards on the front of the east grandstand, for the last few laps.
              And one little scene encapsulated the magic of Hayward Field. When Harvey Glance, who'd won the 100 Trials a couple of days earlier as a still young, up-and-coming athlete, walked in front of those east stands prior to his 1st round heat in the 200, the people began applauding. He looked around, wondering what was happening for the crowd to applaud. His smile of delight when he realized that the Eugene fans simply recognized and appreciated him was magical.

Comment

The 1972 Olympic Trials, also in Eugene, were even better.

Comment

>I vote for the '76 Trials in Eugene. Stayed
                  >ed in a dorm room a block from the track for
                  >$5/night. Read pages after page, literally, of
                  >coverage every day in the Eugene Register-Guard.

The thing that hit me the most when I went to Edmonton two years ago was the extra Worlds section in the newspaper every day. I brought back most of them with me. I called up the Edmonton paper and ordered back issues of the ones I missed -- they didn't charge me a dime. The Worlds have to be about the best meet you can go to, and Canada has to be the best place for an American to travel.

Comment

>>Canada has to be the best place for an American to travel.<<

Better than London? Paris? Rome? Madrid?
                    You gotta be kidding. If not, you're just very provincial. Yes, Canada is easy for an American to be. A place like Edmonton is very much like any American city of a comparable size. Same language, same or similar customs, food, etc. But Edmonton is not one of the great cities of the world, and if you seriously think that traveling to Edmonton is better than traveling to Paris, I feel sorry for you.

Comment

>The AAU meet of 1983? Sorry, Bill. By that time
                      >it was TAC.

Yes, that was quite a helluva broad jump competition at this year's AUU meet! (One is a prisoner of what he learned in his childhood.)

Comment

>>>Canada has to be the best place for an American
                        >to travel.<<

Better than London? Paris?
                        >Rome? Madrid?
                        You gotta be kidding. If not,
                        >you're just very provincial. Yes, Canada is
                        >easy for an American to be. A place like
                        >Edmonton is very much like any American city of
                        >a comparable size. Same language, same or
                        >similar customs, food, etc. But Edmonton is not
                        >one of the great cities of the world, and if you
                        >seriously think that traveling to Edmonton is
                        >better than traveling to Paris, I feel sorry for
                        >you.

Canada is an easy place for Americans to visit -- it takes no planning whatsoever, and it's dirt cheap. It's also far safer tan the USA, but then so is nearly everywhere.

The classic travel destinations are classics for a reason. But you can't just up and go to Paris or Rome unless you've got a lot of cash on hand.

Comment

>The classic travel
                          >destinations are classics for a reason. But you
                          >can't just up and go to Paris or Rome unless
                          >you've got a lot of cash on hand.

P.J O'Rourke has some reasonably funny pieces about what he believes are overrated Euro destinations.

Comment

<<Better than London? Paris? Rome? Madrid?
                            You gotta be kidding. If not, you're just very provincial. Yes, Canada is easy for an American to be. A place like
                            >Edmonton is very much like any American city of
                            >a comparable size. Same language, same or
                            >similar customs, food, etc. But Edmonton is not
                            >one of the great cities of the world, and if you
                            >seriously think that traveling to Edmonton is
                            >better than traveling to Paris, I feel sorry for
                            >you.>>

Spoken like a true elitist pig. There are millions and millions of Americans who don't ever get 50 miles away from home, let alone into another state. For them a trip to Canada is undoubtedly far more satisfying to them than any of your jet-setting to Europe is for you.

Comment

>>Spoken like a true elitist pig. There are millions and millions of Americans who don't ever get 50 miles away from home, let alone into another state. For them a trip to Canada is undoubtedly far more satisfying to them than any of your jet-setting to Europe is for you.<<<

Get off your populist horse. My comment was a response to the statement that Canada is the best place for an American to visit. Period. He didn't say cheapest, or most convenient. He said best. That's like saying that a used Chevy Cavalier is the best car for an American to buy. Well maybe it is, if that's all you can afford. But nobody in his right mind would make an unqualified statement that it's the best car to buy. And if he did, most people would agree that if you could afford one, you'd find that Mercedes, Lexus, Rolls-Royce, etc. made cars that are better to buy.

That's all I said and that's all I meant to say. I've been to Edmonton and I've been to all those other places and believe me, those other places are better. I will not apologize for being able to afford to travel. And I really do feel sorry for anyone who thinks that a small Chevy is the ultimate car or that Edmonton is the ultimate tourist destination.

Comment

The piece in your original post that was most offensive/demeaning was when you suggested that somebody who thought that Canada was great was "provincial." There are (many) Americans for whom going to Canada makes you a world traveler, for sheer economic reasons if nothing else. To impugn someone of lesser financial means as provincial is a slap in the face. There are undoubtedly many who have never travelled to Europe (or any other foreign country) who are far more more "worldly" than you, you pompous ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X