Clear All

Re: Freaks of Nature

I loved to watch Willie Deckard run - smoooooth, altho a bit inconsistent

Comment

>J. Squire,
      I read a recent Ultra result that
      >listed Yiannis Kouros as age 46.

Thanks. I searched for it and couldn't find it. The USATF 24-hour championships are in a Toledo suburb every year, and he competed as a "special guest" last fall. A 45-year old man ran 172 miles in 80-degree heat and high humidity! His world record is seven Boston qualifiers IN A ROW! He's set over 200 world records. Without hyperbole, he is one of the greatest athletes who ever competed in Toledo -- the others are some baseball players on their way up through the minors (Willie Mays, etc.), Ben Hogan, and Jack Dempsey.

Comment

>Let me also add this was in 2001. Goebel's bests
        >that year were 6.58 and 10.21. Not too bad for a
        >19-year old... As I mentioned, he's been injured
        >most of the time since then, but being only 21
        >now, he could definitely come through in the
        >future.

Why wouldn't he run the 400 being 6'7"? Seems like a natural. Also, did Schwarthoff ever run anything than the 110HH?

Who's the biggest 400 meter world class runner?
        800?
        Mile?
        5K-10K?
        Marathon?

Comment

> Why wouldn't he run 400 being 6'7"?
          Because he is German or European and they really do not typecast athletes nearly to the same degree
          as the Americans do. In Europe they have 6'8" soccer players in the states it is almost a given that soccer players are short. I never forget the U.S. team and the Iranian team lined up before a match in the '98 World Cup and the Iranians were taller.
          Had Goebel,Shultz and Schwarthoff been American they very likely would have disappeared into some other sport.
          Anyway, Schwarthoff did run some 200s.
          For tallest 800 runner I'll say Wint at almost 6'5'. For the mile I know Ruyn was 6'3"
          For 3,5,10000 there is Gordon Pirie at 6'2"
          He held the W-rec for 3000 and 5000 in the mid 50's. He was one of the most opinionated and colorful athletes of the last 50 years without a doubt.

Comment

How tall was Alberto Juanterino (Sp) the Cuban 400/800 guy. I don't know about hieght but he had to be one of the most muscular 800 guys ever.

Comment

It was always fun to watch Alberto J. along side a contrasting style in Rick Wolhuter. Mr. Wolhuter would have to be put on a list of underrated and almost ignored top US m-d runners in history imho.

Comment

>It was always fun to watch Alberto J. along side
                >a contrasting style in Rick Wolhuter. Mr.
                >Wolhuter would have to be put on a list of
                >underrated and almost ignored top US m-d runners
                >in history imho.

If you asked "Who was the best American [male] middle-distance runner of the 1970s" you'd usually get "Dave Wottle" or "Marty Liquori" as an answer. I think the right answer is Wohlhuter.

Comment

Did Wolhuter fall or have a strange occurrence in the '72 heats at Munich or was he just injured for the games. I tend to remember something out of the ordinary, but can't place it.

Comment

Wohlhuter fell in his heat at the 72 games. He said he tripped over a sunbeam because he didn't know why he fell.

Comment

Vaultin' Freak

Jeremy Scott, the vaulter who went to the IAAF indoor worlds, is 6'9". he also attends a NCAA D III school, that is freaking in its' own way.

Comment

Jack Bacheler, the two-time Olympian and two time national XC champ, was 6'6"+ (just tall enough to not be drafted into the Army). Hardly your typical tiny distance runner.

Comment

Richard Elliot's classic on mental preparation for distance racing advises you not to obsess over your size since both Miruts Yifter (at 5' 2") and Jack Bacheler (who he said was 6' 7") were both great distance runners.

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna mention Bachelor; definitely the tallest distance runner at that level, eh?

The shortest guys distance guys I can ever remember are Moh. Kedir (4'11"? Shorter than Yifter) and Laban Rotich is awfully tiny.

Another present-day guy who popped my eyes out is Jon Fortenberry. I don't know if any of you saw the SC Gamecock when he was still in HS in Ga., but I saw him his jr. year (I think) and thought he was the thinnest sprinter I'd ever seen. His legs looked like Manute Bol's and he must have had a 22-inch waist, if that.

Comment

One for Garry? If I remember correctly, wasn't their a miler from Div. II who won one year listed at 6'4" and 190? Could you add to this please? He would be the biggest I remember...

Comment

During hs Roy Martin, Obea Moore and Marion Jones were all considered anamolies.

Comment

Working...
                                X