X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sisters that run?

>>Are the Dibabas sisters or cousins?

Sisters.

They might have to be considered the best.

Tirunesh Dibaba ETH
    14:30.88
    04 Olympic Bronze 5K
    03 World Gold 5K

04 WCX-C Silver (short)
    03 WCX-C gold (Junior)
    02 WCX-C Silver (Junior)

Ejegayehu Dibaba ETH
    14:32.74
    30:24.98
    04 Olympic Silver 10K
    04 WCX-C Silver (long)

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=20931.html

Tirunesh Dibaba started off the Lausanne championships by taking gold in the junior women’s race, before competing in the short race the next day with her older sister Ejigayehu, whose running five years ago prompted Tirunesh to follow suit a year later. The sisters are relatives of World and Olympic champion Derartu Tulu.

“But there’s another sister of ours who used to run, whom we knew about first,” said Ejigayehu, referring to Bekelu Dibaba, who is actually a cousin, and now lives in Belgium.

Comment

>'.....& do the Brits still see her as one of theirs, or
      >better yet, did they
      >ever?'

That is pretty funny. That is like saying would the Brits support
      >Germany in a World Cup final?Ho, ho, ho. Mark definitely has that right.

Thanks! That is the answer I expected. We Yanks cannot believe what our media feeds us, which at the time, said ZB was embraced by most Brits with the exception of the minority protestors.

Comment

Thanks! That is the answer I expected. We Yanks cannot believe
        >what our media feeds us, which at the time, said ZB was embraced by most Brits
        >with the exception of the minority protestors.

>>>

buckeye, just to be clear all I meant was that she wasn't regarded as a true Brit. However, there was no animosity towards her, in fact, most people felt sorry for her. The brit team did try to welcome her, again, because the press were all over the story and there had been protests. I was in a training camp with her in San Diego and found it impossible to get to know her, she was incredibily shy and quiet. The most distasteful part of the whole episode (and I'm repeating myself, but there a lot of newbies) was the crowds reaction in the stadium when Slaney tripped, we, as her teammates, got into yelling matches with the Americans around us, it got quite ugly.

Comment

>Ireland's Monica and Regina Joyce. Weren't they sisters? >>

Actually, I believe both were Brits to begin with, but Regina ended up representing Ireland internationally, which has to be pretty unique for siblings.

Comment

buckeye, just to be clear
            >all I meant was that she wasn't regarded as a true Brit. However, there was no
            >animosity towards her, in fact, most people felt sorry for her. The brit team
            >did try to welcome her, again, because the press were all over the story and
            >there had been protests. I was in a training camp with her in San Diego and
            >found it impossible to get to know her, she was incredibily shy and quiet. The
            >most distasteful part of the whole episode (and I'm repeating myself, but there
            >a lot of newbies) was the crowds reaction in the stadium when Slaney tripped,
            >we, as her teammates, got into yelling matches with the Americans around us, it
            >got quite ugly.

Thanks Mark. That's the type of insiders perpective I was looking for. The Americans were vocal and ugly over the LA incident? Not that it surprises me, but I wasn't there. The number of uninformed spectators attending Olympic Games never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

Just remembered the THREE Ouaziz sisters:

Zhara Ouaziz (4:00.60, 8:26.48, 14:32.08)
              Saloua Ouaziz (4:08.18, 8:50.96, 15:48.16)
              Nadia Ouaziz (9:08.58)

Comment

I did not know there was a third Ouaziz.

There is also the 800m Ait Hammou sisters - Amina (4th WC 2003) and Seltana. Fiona May and Natasha May (6.20ish) are also LJ sisters.

And what about the Puerto Rican de Lind (sp ?) sisters from the 4X400m in the 84 Olympics?!

Comment

Working...
                X