Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 GREATEST DECATHLETES EVER

Here's my early picks. I'll listen to all opinions before I make my final top 10 listings

1. Daley Thompson
    2. Bob Mathias
    3. Rafer Johnson
    4. Jim Thorpe
    5. Dan O'Brien
    6. Milt Campbell
    7. Heino Lipp
    8. Bruce Jenner
    9. Tomas Dvorak
    10. Kuzynetsov/Hingsen

Re: 10 GREATEST DECATHLETES EVER

>Here's my early picks. I'll listen to all
    >opinions before I make my final top 10
    >listings

1. Daley Thompson
    2. Bob Mathias
    >Rafer Johnson
    4. Jim Thorpe
    5. Dan O'Brien
    >Milt Campbell
    7. Heino Lipp
    8. Bruce Jenner
    >Tomas Dvorak
    10. Kuzynetsov/Hingsen

Surely S<caron>ebrle deserves a mention...? His Championship record may not be too great (European Champion, Olympic Silver, 2003 World Indoors Bronze, 2001 World Indoors Gold), but he's been over 8,800 4 times (a feat only matched by Dvorak) and he holds the WR, which has gotta count for something - likewise the fact that he's the only man to have broken the illustrious 9,000 barrier.

Comment

Second over 9000. You're forgetting C.K. Yang, 9121 in 1963.

Comment

>Second over 9000. You're forgetting C.K. Yang,
        >9121 in 1963.

Yang's best was 8426, set in 1960 and that was with the old scoring tables. If he did score 9121, surely that would be the WR right now... (considering Sebrle's is 9026).

I also think Vasiliy Kuznetsov deserves a mention in the list above. He was 3 times European Champ, and twice Olympic Bronze medallist. He set 2 World records and another 5 European records. During his 10-year career (1953-1963) his lowest world-ranking was 5!

Comment

5 Americans in the top 6? I don't think so... Kuznetsov, Dvorak and Hingsen at least should be somewhere up there.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

1) Thorpe
            2) Thorpe
            3) Thorpe
            4) Thorpe
            5) Thorpe
            6) Thorpe
            7) Thorpe
            8) Thorpe
            9) Thorpe
            10) Thorpe

He is the only man in history who was probably capable of winning not only the decathalon but 4 or 5 individual events at the same Olympics.

Comment

There is a HUUUGE difference between dominating 5 different events in 1912 and trying to do the same in 2003...

Another strange thing about the original list was the placing of Heino Lipp. No world (or even European) records, no major titles, only 1 no. 1 ranking on TFN lists. What were you thinking?
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

"Yang's best was 8426, set in 1960 and that was with the old scoring tables. If he did score 9121, surely that would be the WR right now... (considering Sebrle's is 9026)."

Yang's 8426 was at the '60 AAU. In '63, he won the Mount SAC Relays with 9121, the last WR set with the 1950 tables, which became outmoded when fiberglass came to the vault (and Yang was a 16-foot vaulter before 17-feet had been reached). The 9121 was worth 8089 on the 1962 tables, 8009 on the present tables.

Comment

To those who are new to the board, and are enjoying this thread, check out another called 1956: Rafer, Milt or Mathias? It examines their relative merits pretty well.

Comment

I'll dig up my all-time rankings and see how they compare. I didn't put Thorpe on the list because one competition does not make a career. I did, however, consider his lone decathlon the greatest decathlon performance of all time. So many things are different now than back in 1912, but the clincher is this: When Dan O'Brien set his WR, he ran 4:43 on a synthetic track with many modern advantages. Thorpe ran, I think, somewhere around 4:45.

Kuznyetsov, while never a truly dominant force, deserves to be on the list by sheer weight of numbers alone. Another name that might belong on the list is Paavo Yrjola.

Comment

I always liked Toomey. Not saying he's in the 10 greatest, but he was a stud. Especially in that 400.

Comment

As someone who is a poor natural athlete, and (according to my wife, very) clumsy, I'd be quite happy to have a 400m PR of 45.6 like Toomey

Comment

As someone who is a poor natural athlete, and (according to my wife, very) clumsy, I'd be quite happy to have a 400m PR of 45.6 like Toomey

Comment

I'll always remember his 45.6 in Mexico City. I was watching it ( live I think ) on TV, and remember thinking, " this guy us really hauling ! "

Is this still the Dec.'s best-ever 400 ?

Comment

<<Toomey certainly doesn't qualify
                              >for the top ten, but he's an interesting case,
                              >different from all the others. I used to work
                              >out with him at UCLA in the mid-sixties and he
                              >was a very poor natural athlete, clumsy and
                              >awkward at nearly everything he did. >>

Let's not get carried away here. Toomey was a good enough athlete to score in the NCAA Championships in the 400H!

Conversely, Jenner would have had trouble even qualifying for the NCs in any individual event.

Comment

Working...
                              X