• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10 GREATEST DECATHLETES EVER

I need some more opinions before I can release a final ranking

Comment

Tell me something. Didn't Jim Thorpe run a 4:48 1500m? Or something in that area? There were times where Dan Obrien (80 years later) had trouble cracking 5:00 at times.

What alltime ranking would Paul Robeson have been if he were allowed to compete in 1912?

Comment

Thorpe ran 4:40.1 in his Olympic win. Not bad for a guy 6-0/220.

Comment

>>What
          >alltime ranking would Paul Robeson have been if
          >he were allowed to compete in 1912?>>

Well, since he was 14, in 1912, I don't think he would have had much of an impact. :-)

In 1920 he entered Columbia law school and also played professional football for several years.

His political troubles didn't begin in earnest until 1950.

Fabulous (and heartbreaking) timeline on him can be found starting here:

http://www.rutgers.edu/robeson/1898-1912.html

Comment

"What alltime ranking would Paul Robeson have been if he were allowed to compete in 1912? "

Pretty poor, as he had only finished 9th grade and was 14 years old at the time. He graduated from Somerville HS in 1915, and from Rutgers in 1919. He was reported to be 6-2/190 when he entered Rutgers.

He competed in 1918 in the Penn Relays pentathlon, a featured event during the late-teens, but not very well. Out of 15 competitors, he was 11th in the LJ (17-8), 5th in the JT (137-10), 13th in the 200m (straight, 27 2/5), 2nd in the DT (112-4 1/2), and - if he started or finished -was slower then 6:43 3/5 for the 1500m.

His best DT that I know of from 1917 is 107-7 1/2.

Robeson was an average collegiate thrower, not quite good enough to score at the IC4A if they had contested those events at the time, but not a good jumper or sprinter, and not a hurdler at all. He would never have made a decathlon team.

Comment

Thanks for the Robeson info. My bad on the "1912". I should have said 1920. Peace.

Comment

I think Thorpe was closer to 200 than 220.

Clay

Comment

>>Robeson
                  >was an average collegiate thrower, not quite good enough to score at the IC4A
                  >if they had contested those events at the time, but not a good jumper or
                  >sprinter, and not a hurdler at all. He would never have made a decathlon team.>>

Yeah, but unlike all these other guys, he's going to get his own stamp

http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?t ... 0001270355

Comment

The stamp of greatness.. He wasn't a good jumper? - it was his best event,wasn't it? - 6'4 while at Rutgers. World class in 1919(?) Johnny Mathis(6'5 1/2) had one of the highest singing voices ever, while Roberson had one of the lowest(almost the Barry White of his era?...)

Comment

"6'4 while at Rutgers."

I could be wrong, but I've never seen anything for Robeson to suggest he jumped this high.

Could you be thinking of his son, Paul Robeson, Jr., who competed for Cornell in the mid-'40s:
                      1945 1=)IC4A ind (6-3), 1=)Heps ind (6-3 7/8), 4=)PennRel (5-9)
                      1946 1)IC4A ind (6-4)

Comment

How can anyone rate Jenner in the top ten after he made that horrible movie with the Village People? (Even if Valerie Perrine was in it.) Sorry, I don't care how good an athlete he was he is OUT!

Comment

>>Could you be thinking of his son, Paul Robeson, Jr., who competed for Cornell in the mid-'40s:
                          1945 1=)IC4A ind (6-3), 1=)Heps ind (6-3 7/8), 4=)PennRel (5-9)1946 1)IC4A ind (6-4)<<

Yeah, but could the kid sing Ol' Man River?

Comment

Working...
                          X