Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walker's OG 800 loss/1500 win

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by noone View Post
      In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.
      Steve Scott didn't run in the Olympics until 1984 - he wasn't in Montreal

      Comment


      • #33
        Senior moment! Not sure what I was remembering..

        Comment


        • #34
          Pretty bold move, spotting them a full eight years.

          Comment


          • #35
            What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by noone View Post
              What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?
              More likely Helsinki which was a slow race. He set a decent pace in LA which resulted in Keino's Olympic Record finally falling. However, I think he did get a medal in Helsinki?

              Comment


              • #37
                Helsinki was a slog for 1000 meters when Aouita took off...Scott got 2nd.

                It's on YouTube...worth watching...

                Comment


                • #38
                  If I recall correctly, Scott ran in the 1976 Olympic trials and was highly critical of Tom Byers for setting such a suicidal pace.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.
                      Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                        Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.
                        Fourth in his semi in 3:40.4.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X