Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
      In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.
      Steve Scott didn't run in the Olympics until 1984 - he wasn't in Montreal

Comment

Senior moment! Not sure what I was remembering..

Comment

Pretty bold move, spotting them a full eight years.

Comment

What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
              What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?
              More likely Helsinki which was a slow race. He set a decent pace in LA which resulted in Keino's Olympic Record finally falling. However, I think he did get a medal in Helsinki?

Comment

Helsinki was a slog for 1000 meters when Aouita took off...Scott got 2nd.

It's on YouTube...worth watching...

Comment

If I recall correctly, Scott ran in the 1976 Olympic trials and was highly critical of Tom Byers for setting such a suicidal pace.

Comment

I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.
                      Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.
                        Fourth in his semi in 3:40.4.

Comment

Working...
                        X