X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.
    Fourth in his semi in 3:40.4.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.
    Scott was an afterthought in '76. His first big year was '77.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I forgot Scott was in that race. I was there that day he seemed more of an afterthought at the time....53...1:51...it was pretty insane pace....Ken Popejoy went along and paid dearly...I talked to him a few years ago at a dinner in Chicago and asked about race. He said he was so upset he wandered all that night around Eugene just walking around.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago
    replied
    If I recall correctly, Scott ran in the 1976 Olympic trials and was highly critical of Tom Byers for setting such a suicidal pace.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Helsinki was a slog for 1000 meters when Aouita took off...Scott got 2nd.

It's on YouTube...worth watching...

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by noone View Post
    What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?
    More likely Helsinki which was a slow race. He set a decent pace in LA which resulted in Keino's Olympic Record finally falling. However, I think he did get a medal in Helsinki?

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    What was I thinking? Didn't Scott run a 3:31 1500 before a major championship, but then jog along with the pack in the Finals? Helsinki? LA?

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Pretty bold move, spotting them a full eight years.

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    Senior moment! Not sure what I was remembering..

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by noone View Post
    In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.
    Steve Scott didn't run in the Olympics until 1984 - he wasn't in Montreal

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    In Montreal I remember thinking Steve Scott should just go all out from the opening gun instead of trying to outsprint these beasts.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    Dude, you are like the Forrest Gump of Athletics. You keep popping up in all sorts of interesting places with interesting people.
    Now, let me tell you about me and Tom Hanks.......

Leave a comment:

• Peter Michaelson
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
    I don't have sources handy, but my recollection is that Ryun simply moved too soon in the OT 800m. I've always felt that if he had started his kick just 30 meters later, he would have held on for 3rd. Then, that experience would have affected how he ran the OG 800m final, which I think he would have won.
    According to the Track and Field News History of the Olympic Trials, Ryun ran the backstretch of the second lap in 11.5 as part of the 3rd 200 in 24.8, too quick for anyone at that time and maybe ever.

By the way, I have never found a complete video of the race. There have been bits and pieces (some black and white and some slow motion) but would love to see the whole thing, in color or not. Does anyone have access to a complete video of the 1972 Olympic Trials Men's 800m final?

Leave a comment:

• Alan Sigmon
    replied
    I don't have sources handy, but my recollection is that Ryun simply moved too soon in the OT 800m. I've always felt that if he had started his kick just 30 meters later, he would have held on for 3rd. Then, that experience would have affected how he ran the OG 800m final, which I think he would have won.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Dude, you are like the Forrest Gump of Athletics. You keep popping up in all sorts of interesting places with interesting people.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X