Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The VP Gaffe Over & Under

The media piranha are working themselves into a feeding frenzy thinking they smell blood in the water tonight. Who will commit the first blunder, and how soon will they do it? Will it be Biden patronizing Palin, or will it be Palin randomly blurting out all the extraneous facts that have been crammed into her head in the last few days? Biden has a history of hoof-in-mouth disease, and Palin has committed hari-Couric lately, so who implodes first?

This has nothing to do with politics, just the tragi-comedy that the media insists on creating. Personally, I think both of them will embarrass themselves, and we'll be treated to endless youtube moments, wherein each side lambastes the other for its cluelessness.

I think that the rule changes help both candidates.

Biden tends to run on and on until he puts folks to sleep or wakes them up with some boneheaded remark ("When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'")

Palin, if her interviews with Couric and others since her VP announcement are to be believed, apparently has so little experience even thinking about national and international issues that in unscripted discourse she discusses these issues in ways that are barely more intelligible than a four year old. Ferchristsakes, she couldn't even come up with the name of one single newspaper or magazine that helped her formulate ideas in these areas.

I predict two boneheads by Biden, and at least ten instances where Palin leaves folks wishing for the good ol' days of Dan Quayle.

Comment

I've been pardoned.

Aren't you glad to have such wonderful choices?

Comment

Seems to be working out both ways... Biden insists on flashing a patronizing, bemused smile while Palin talks. Palin spews random words totally unrelated to the topic that Gwen Ifill presents. Worst thing, though, is Palin winking at the camera. Ugh.

Comment

Yay! I liked that better than the Prez debate. They were cordial and both acquitted themselves well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            They were cordial and both acquitted themselves well.
            I agree. Definately more interaction post-debate than between Obama and McCain.

Republicans have to be breathing a huge sigh of relief.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              Worst thing, though, is Palin winking at the camera. Ugh.
              Not only that but she gave a 'shout out'!!! :x

Comment

I quite enjoyed watching the debate. I thought all parties involved put their best foot forward, and represented their positions well. I don't think anything changed in the greater scheme of things, but it was fun to watch (as a political junkie). Sarah did well, all things considered, and Joe kept looking as if he wanted to suggest a pitcher of margaritas and a secluded beach somewhere.
                Or was that just in my mind? :wink:

Comment

Go Joe B.! Let's hear it for the Delaware Valley!

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                    I agree. Palin did not implode - instead she was programmed very well. Biden did as expected.

Comment

Considering that this is a fight for the undecided voters, I wonder about the wisdom of using phrases like "White Flag of Surrender". That's something you might say at the Republican National Convention, not when you're trying to win over moderates.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                        Originally posted by guru
                        I agree. Palin did not implode - instead she was programmed very well. Biden did as expected.
                        Should we have expected any less from Joe Biden with 30+ years of weekly debating before national cameras, 20+ years of answering national reporters questions in front of hot lights and live cameras. I thought he was marvelous but never expected otherwise. He not only is a Senator, he plays one on TV. Biden is a personality that if he were not in government would be a multimillionaire in any business of his choice. I give him an A. Palin did well but if this were judged by 19th century debating standards she lost. Of course if this were the 19th century neither Palin nor Biden would be at center stage, but we would be forced to listen to well informed statesman, which would get quite boring to ears trained on speeches by Barbara Boxer. By 21century (Couric/theView) standards Ill give her at least a B. Which given the expectations game, the target audience, the century we are in, she wins.
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

I'm sure SNL's rating will go through the roof due to indivduals being tuned in from the beginning and simply hoping for some type of spoof of the candidates.

Comment

Palin has better legs, hence she wins.

I understand B. Clinton is thinking about becoming a republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                              Palin has better legs, hence she wins.

I understand B. Clinton is thinking about becoming a republican.
                              That's really not fair --- have you even seen Joe's legs?
                              Please don't answer in the affirmative

Comment

Working...
                              X