Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Did you open it?"

Has this bit of catchphrase caught up with you yet? No end of people now ask that question, referring, of course, to your latest 401k/IRA statement.

From my small circle of experience, the answer for most is no! They know the news is bad and prefer to take the Scarlett O'Hara route.

I'm down to $259...anyone wanna trade?

Comment

Re: "Did you open it?"

Originally posted by gh
      Has this bit of catchphrase caught up with you yet? No end of people now ask that question, referring, of course, to your latest 401k/IRA statement.

From my small circle of experience, the answer for most is no! They know the news is bad and prefer to take the Scarlett O'Hara route.
      If people were afraid to open their third quarter statement, which reported their values as of 9/30, they're not going to want the year-end statement even to be put in their mailbox, assuming things keep heading the way they have headed been since 9/30.

Another bad day in the equity markets today, all over the world. USA probably worst of all.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

The year is 2008. People manage their 401k accounts online in this day and age. Your 401k statement is already old news.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
          The year is 2008. People manage their 401k accounts online in this day and age.
          Some people do and some people don't. Many people decide on an investment allocation that makes sense, and just stick with it, looking at their balance only when the statements come, if that often. If it's truly a retirement savings account, and retirement is many years away, there's not much point in worrying about it on a daily basis or managing it online.

Of course some people have nothing to worry about because they've chosen to ignore equities all along. Over the years, they've foregone much growth opportunity but they've slept better.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Of course some people have nothing to worry about because they've chosen to ignore equities all along. Over the years, they've foregone much growth opportunity but they've slept better.
            I am so freakin' brilliant, I did them one better. I not only stayed out of equities, I turned a cold, hard shoulder to stocks, bonds, mutual funds . . . :twisted:

Them 20s in the mattress are starting to look mighty fine from where I'm astanding!!

Comment

Not as fine as a 401(k) invested entirely in a fixed account.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                I am so freakin' brilliant, I did them one better. I not only stayed out of equities, I turned a cold, hard shoulder to stocks, bonds, mutual funds . . . :twisted:

Them 20s in the mattress are starting to look mighty fine from where I'm astanding!!
                psssst, tracknut ....stocks are equities.

Comment

Mattress guys don't have to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

The year is 2008. People manage their 401k accounts online in this day and age. Your 401k statement is already old news.
                    I don't, and apparently all the people who said the same line to me don't either. Sorry we're not all as hip as you.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Originally posted by gh

I don't, and apparently all the people who said the same line to me don't either. Sorry we're not all as hip as you.
                      I dont check my 401k online. I am in it for the long run, not gonna change it, have a high risk and low risk stuff, dont really understand any of it And i will open my statement when i get it and sigh and have a cold one.
                      phsstt!

Comment

Lost 33% so far! Woo hoo. good thing i'm 25 years from retirement. Time to buy more shares.

Comment

today the on-line website for my 401(k) said "closed for repairs".

In another matter, I just participated in a "national transportation survey" supposedly sponsored by the national government; the introductory letter said there would be over a thousand participants- and in the first envelope with the introductory material was a five dollar bill! Then when I received the "travel diary" in the mail, two singles! I did the diary part, was called on the phone and dictated my destination and mode of transportation information to the individual who called- now I'm waiting for more money......

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by gh

Hip? Is that some sort of childish state of consciousness to ascribe to in the Bay Area?

You're a grown man. It's 2008. We are in the information age. It's your money. You should know what's going on with it.

Comment

Mattress guys don't have to know that.
                              Your account at First Mattress Bank is insured by FDIC (Fire Department is Coming)

Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X