Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/ ... 84926.html

How many other attempts will President David Palmer... er, Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.

Re: One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Originally posted by EPelle
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/supremacists-wanted-to-kill-102-black-people/2008/10/28/1224955984926.html

How many other attempts will President David Palmer... er, Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.
    At least a couple more. We have thousands of KK members and if 1% actually want Obama dead and are willing to die to do it then..........
    phsstt!

Comment

I would stop WAAAY short of calling that an "attempt".
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        Good point, ahh... howx bout how many planned assinations will be stopped before they are carried out. I dont even wanna think about stopping a attempt!
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          It would have been murder-1 if it had been carried out. The intent was there. The attempt hadn:t yet come to fruition. Good point.

Comment

Re: One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Originally posted by EPelle
            How many other attempts will President Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.
            Neo-Nazi Obama Plot One of "A Handful" of "Serious" Threats Against Obama

Secret Service Reports Record Number of Assassination Threats

ABC News -- The arrests Monday in an alleged neo-Nazi assassination plot against Sen. Barack Obama involve one of a handful of serious threats against the Democratic presidential candidate, federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

The officials say Obama has been the target of well over 500 threats, most of which are not taken seriously.

But in an estimated dozen or so cases, the threat was considered serious enough that law enforcement agents were assigned to track down suspects.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6123157&page=1

Comment

No doubt he is a target. I wouldn't want to be in his suit.

Comment

I believe that if the Secret Service was able to keep Bush alive for 8 years, despite repeated trips abroad, they should be able to keep Obama alive. My guess is that there are as many, if not more, people on this planet who want to see the former dead as the latter. Furthermore, I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.

Comment

Don:t fear the state with 20 nukes, fear the lone ranger types. Likewise, don:t fear the guy with 20 kills, but the guy who wants to make a name for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                    I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.
                    I'm not sure that experience is relevant. I think about all of the well-publicized attempts to assassinate presidents and I have the impression that these were mostly novices who were either fanatical in their beliefs, or deranged, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.
                      I'm not sure that experience is relevant. I think about all of the well-publicized attempts to assassinate presidents and I have the impression that these were mostly novices who were either fanatical in their beliefs, or deranged, or both.
                      I don't think that JFK's assassin(s) was a novice. By the way, can't you be a fanatic and experienced at the art of assassination/terrorism?

Comment

By the way, can't you be a fanatic and experienced at the art of assassination/terrorism?
                        Yes, of course. But I worry more about the loon with no experience at all, just a fixation on doing this terrible thing for reasons that only he or she underrstands.

Comment

I'm not sure who chooses and hires and trains those in charge of protecting a President or a Presidential candidate. But if guys like Dick Cheney and friends are anywhere around that process, I would be nervous.
                          Also some news headlines developing today will include:

* Sales of assault weapons spike before election (in case "that one" gets elected, apparently).
                          * Election of Obama would be an Apocalyptic event, according to some extreme Right religious folks.

Not exactly comforting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                            * Sales of assault weapons spike before election (in case "that one" gets elected, apparently).
                            A couple of weeks ago the wife and I took a gun usage/safety class. The instructor, who runs a scuba shop and does firearm training and other associated work as a sideline, says that thanks to the economy his scuba stuff is dead in the water (pun intended) but his firearms business is off the charts.

Comment

That's scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X