Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in terrorism?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Mennisco
    You must see nothing but great art wherever you experience Hallowe'en.
    Ya lost me. Halloween bores me because nothing has 'fright'ed me since I was 12 (other than an occasion startlement from a 'BOO!').

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Originally posted by cullman
      I don't generally use the term terrorist. I prefer to be more specific.

      cman
      Please elaborate.
      I refer to specific groups by their names whether it be Hezbollah, Hamas, Fatah, Al-Quaeda, Taliban, IRA, Provisional IRA etc. It means a little bit of homework...but what the hey!

      The term terrorism is highly subjective and perjorative. Turn the clock back to December 7, 1941 and I would be an enemy of the government and a terrorist regardless of the origin of my birth and allegiances. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that I would be incarcerated indefinitely without writ of habeas corpus.

      cman

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by cullman
        I refer to specific groups by their names whether it be Hezbollah, Hamas, Fatah, Al-Quaeda, Taliban, IRA, Provisional IRA etc. It means a little bit of homework...but what the hey!
        The word "terrorist" is kind of like the word "alcoholic." Getting drunk every New Year's Eve doesn't make you an alcoholic, and just because an organization has committed acts of terrorism in the past, doesn't make it a terrorist organiztion, IMO. Alcoholics get drunk on a regular basis, not just for special occasions. The U.S. has government has committed acts of terrorism in the past, but I wouldn't call it a terrorist organiztion because that's only a very small percentage of what it does. Therefore, I would call Al Qaeda a terrorist organiztion, but I wouldn't call Hamas or Hezbollah terrorist organiztions, because terrorism is only a small percentage what they do.

        Originally posted by cullman
        The term terrorism is highly subjective and perjorative. Turn the clock back to December 7, 1941 and I would be an enemy of the government and a terrorist regardless of the origin of my birth and allegiances. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that I would be incarcerated indefinitely without writ of habeas corpus.

        cman
        Why would you have been an enemy of the state and a terrorist back then?

        Comment


        • #34
          One would assume cman's family tree exhibits a taste for sushi.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by gh
            One would assume cman's family tree exhibits a taste for sushi.
            Sushi?! That's a great reason for locking people up and throwing away the key

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by gh
              One would assume cman's family tree exhibits a taste for sushi.
              Well, you know what they say when you ass-u-me? As for the internment of the Japanese-Americans, isn't that considered a huge Black mark on FDR's record and a mistake that the U.S. government has since apologized and paid restitution for. The thing that bothers me about that is that they didn't put the German-Americans or the Italian-Americans in camps, despite the fact that there were many of them who committed treason.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by gm
                Originally posted by gh
                One would assume cman's family tree exhibits a taste for sushi.
                Sushi?! That's a great reason for locking people up and throwing away the key
                It goes well with bourbon. :P

                cman

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  Originally posted by gh
                  One would assume cman's family tree exhibits a taste for sushi.
                  Well, you know what they say when you ass-u-me? As for the internment of the Japanese-Americans, isn't that considered a huge Black mark on FDR's record and a mistake that the U.S. government has since apologized and paid restitution for. The thing that bothers me about that is that they didn't put the German-Americans or the Italian-Americans in camps, despite the fact that there were many of them who committed treason.
                  It's equally a black mark on the Canadians, who did the same thing.

                  As in the case of that revered scholar, David Suzuki:

                  http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nomi ... -know.html

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I'm really surprised at the percentage of yes's. I'm guessing that you folks have a much narrower definition of terrorism than I do.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      I'm really surprised at the percentage of yes's. I'm guessing that you folks have a much narrower definition of terrorism than I do.
                      Or they didn't understand the question 8-)

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        I'm really surprised at the percentage of yes's. I'm guessing that you folks have a much narrower definition of terrorism than I do.
                        I do, indeed. To me, Hamas and Hezbollah are terrorist organizations, even if they do other things as well.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Daisy
                          Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                          I'm really surprised at the percentage of yes's. I'm guessing that you folks have a much narrower definition of terrorism than I do.
                          Or they didn't understand the question 8-)
                          I never quite sorted it out (seriously).

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by Daisy
                            Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                            I'm really surprised at the percentage of yes's. I'm guessing that you folks have a much narrower definition of terrorism than I do.
                            Or they didn't understand the question 8-)
                            I never quite sorted it out (seriously).
                            It's quite simple: Is an act which meets your definition of terrorism ever morally justifiable?

                            The 10 question were only meant to help you formulate your definition.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              It's quite simple: Is an act which meets your definition of terrorism ever morally justifiable?
                              No.

                              Here:s a spin-off question: Would terrorising a terrorist ever be morally justifiable?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by EPelle
                                Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                                It's quite simple: Is an act which meets your definition of terrorism ever morally justifiable?
                                No.

                                Here:s a spin-off question: Would terrorising a terrorist ever be morally justifiable?
                                Well, if you answer yes to this question, then you've also answered yes to the original question.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X