Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will White People Riot?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will White People Riot?

    It's more than a week old, but I read an interesting column this morning...
    Originally posted by On TheRoot.com, Wendi C. Thomas
    "Would black people riot if Sen. Barack Obama didn't win the election?" That was the question a white man in Memphis recently asked a racial reconciliation group with which I am involved.

    ...

    But soon after getting this man's e-mail, I started to wonder if he was on to something, if he had noticed what I had: a seething, barely constrained, ugly anger and frustration that makes good riot fuel. The kind of anger that prompts people to shout "Kill him!" and "Off with his head!" at rallies. The kind of hatefulness that would prompt a man to bring a stuffed monkey with an "Obama" sticker on the toy's head to a campaign event.

    That kind of group-fueled nastiness must surely beg the question: Will white people riot if Obama wins?

    ...
    The full article is here: http://www.theroot.com/id/48479

    Earlier this year my 74-year-old mother, a life-long Democrat, openly questioned whether America was capable of electing a black President. I was a bit surprised by that. I felt (and continue to feel) that we've passed the tipping point where race no longer plays a decisive role in most people's political views. But as the reality of an Obama victory becomes more and more likely, I too am noticing a fragment of society that's going to have a very hard time dealing with the eventuality. While I'm pretty confident that we'll have the first black American President taking office three months from now, I'm much less confident that we'll have the first living black ex-President eight-and-a-half years from now. I hope I'm wrong, but...

  • #2
    Polls have indicated for several weeks now that Obama is looking like the first Democratic presidential candidate to win a majority of the white vote since LBJ.

    Does that answer your question? :roll:
    There are no strings on me

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a generational thing. If your mother was twenty one then I might have been surprised.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by guru
        Polls have indicated for several weeks now that Obama is looking like the first Democratic presidential candidate to win a majority of the white vote since LBJ.

        Does that answer your question? :roll:
        At the end of the day, I seriously doubt Obama will get the majority of the White vote, and if he does, it would no doubt mean that we've come a lot farther than I ever realized.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by guru
          Polls have indicated for several weeks now that Obama is looking like the first Democratic presidential candidate to win a majority of the white vote since LBJ.

          Does that answer your question? :roll:
          Its not a question of what the average white guy thinks, but rather the one crazy militia guy from the middle of nowhere who "don't want no colored running my country" that is the potential danger here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MJR
            Its not a question of what the average white guy thinks, but rather the one crazy militia guy from the middle of nowhere who "don't want no colored running my country" that is the potential danger here.

            Yep, that drive-by shooting plan in white tuxes and top hats was bound to get the job done.
            There are no strings on me

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by guru
              Originally posted by MJR
              Its not a question of what the average white guy thinks, but rather the one crazy militia guy from the middle of nowhere who "don't want no colored running my country" that is the potential danger here.

              Yep, that drive-by shooting plan in white tuxes and top hats was bound to get the job done.
              Not to mention after they had already killed 87 other people!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Recall Rush's line for every show during the Clinton Administration, counting the number of days America had been held hostage. That was for a white Pres. from a red state. There is a portion of the country that will not accept the election results as legitimate, and much of this ACORN crap is merely setting the stage for it. They will not riot but they will seethe with anger.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                  There is a portion of the country that will not accept the election results as legitimate, and much of this ACORN crap is merely setting the stage for it. They will not riot but they will seethe with anger.
                  Good. With any luck at all it will ruin their lives.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I do not expect any wide scale rioting. I will not be surprised if there are incidents.
                    It is the Obama camp that keeps injecting race into this campaign, seeing racism in the most innocuous of statements.

                    I sincerely believe that race is not a significant factor to those who oppose Obama; there are plenty of other reasons. I cannot say the reverse is true.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lonewolf
                      I sincerely believe that race is not a significant factor to those who oppose Obama
                      You can't be serious. Perhaps not with some, but it is with quite a few of them.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lonewolf
                        I do not expect any wide scale rioting. I will not be surprised if there are incidents.
                        It is the Obama camp that keeps injecting race into this campaign, seeing racism in the most innocuous of statements.

                        .
                        I could not disagree with you more about Obama's camp injecting race into the campaign. Just the opposite. Obama made one comment, that I know of (and I await your additional examples by him or anyone associated with his campaign) when he said 'he wouldn't look like the other presidents on the dollar bill. One teeny funny comment.


                        I think BOTH sides have done a good job keeping race out of this.
                        Can't say the same for some of the nutbar racists that support McCain-and aren't afraid to go on camera with their filth.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mojo
                          Originally posted by lonewolf
                          I do not expect any wide scale rioting. I will not be surprised if there are incidents.
                          It is the Obama camp that keeps injecting race into this campaign, seeing racism in the most innocuous of statements.

                          .
                          I could not disagree with you more about Obama's camp injecting race into the campaign. Just the opposite. Obama made one comment, that I know of (and I await your additional examples by him or anyone associated with his campaign) when he said 'he wouldn't look like the other presidents on the dollar bill. One teeny funny comment.


                          I think BOTH sides have done a good job keeping race out of this.
                          Can't say the same for some of the nutbar racists that support McCain-and aren't afraid to go on camera with their filth.
                          I heartily agree with mojo on her first point.

                          However, it is not true McCain has kept subtle racism out of the race anymore than Reagan with his 'welfare queen' remarks and opening his 1980 campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi calling for 'states' rights', or Bush 1 with his Willie Horton ads.


                          This Joe the Plumber is part of this Atwater-Rovian nonsense.

                          'If that wasn't enough, McCain introduced Wurzelbacher as "an American hero, a great citizen of Ohio and my role model."'

                          On Tuesday, Wurzelbacher endorsed the insane idea that a vote for Obama would be "a vote for the death of Israel."

                          http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/10/3 ... ole-model/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Whether it comes from the top or not, it's been said.

                            Hillsborough (FL) county GOP chair David Storck:
                            "I see carloads of black Obama supporters coming from the inner city to cast their votes for Obama. This is their chance to get a black president and they seem to care little that he is at minimum, socialist, and probably Marxist in his core beliefs. After all, he is black -- no experience or accomplishments -- but he is black."
                            http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/e ... 883431.ece

                            Senator Saxy Chambliss (R-GA) is only slightly coded: “The other folks are voting.”
                            http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm? ... 478B019AA7

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                              Whether it comes from the top or not, it's been said.

                              Hillsborough (FL) county GOP chair David Storck:
                              "I see carloads of black Obama supporters coming from the inner city to cast their votes for Obama. This is their chance to get a black president and they seem to care little that he is at minimum, socialist, and probably Marxist in his core beliefs. After all, he is black -- no experience or accomplishments -- but he is black."
                              http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/e ... 883431.ece
                              Guys like that should be drummed out of the GOP. But of course he won't be because that kind of crap is being generated at the top of the party. Socialist? Marxist? Bullshit. It's just a lie and they should be called on this and taken to task every time they say it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X