• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    I think everybody involved in the US election shoudl have to go through a grilling by Jeremy Paxman :mrgreen:

How do you think Palin would cope with that???
    I think Americans would find Paxman overbearing. We're used to interviewers showing a certain degree of deference towards interviewees. The late Tim Russert was the American gold standard, and had he lived, I think the McCain campaign would have felt a lot of pressure to make Palin available for a one-hour cross examination by him on "Meet the Press".
    Russert could be alright at times, but sometimes a complete clown. His fixation of Social Security was one. The system needs tinkering, but it is not a big problem.

I remember one show when he had Paul Krugman and Bill O'Reilly on together. When O'Reilly was losing the argument on facts he went straight to his bullying tactics and Russert did nothing except say at the end it was all very amusing. Great.

Paxman is wonderful. I met him once in Hay-on-Wye a few years ago. I wish we had someone like that here. Of course, I wish we had the equivalent of the BBC here.

Does anyone remember back in 2002 when Wolf Blitzer babbled to Colin Powell, "god bless you sir" at the end of the show. I almost fell out of my seat. I immediately thought of Paxman and just tried to imagine saying anything remotely as obsequious to the Foreign Secretary.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I think everybody involved in the US election shoudl have to go through a grilling by Jeremy Paxman :mrgreen:

I think Americans would find Paxman overbearing. We're used to interviewers showing a certain degree of deference towards interviewees.
    I've never understood why anyone would think you should be deferential to politicians. Especiaally inept ones who refure to answer a straightforward question. It's precisely his lack of deference that makes him so repected in the UK.

Having said that I think almost any UK presenter would have given them all a harder time than they get in the Us were everyone is far too deferential, apart from the egregious obvious exceptions.

Actually i have to say I'm loving Campbell Brown, she's great but i haven't seen her interview any of the big guns. She wouldn't let them get away with anything.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Oh dear..............

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... queduo1101

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

I think Americans would find Paxman overbearing. We're used to interviewers showing a certain degree of deference towards interviewees. The late Tim Russert was the American gold standard, and had he lived, I think the McCain campaign would have felt a lot of pressure to make Palin available for a one-hour cross examination by him on "Meet the Press".

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Palin 2012!!!!

Greta Van Susteren is a bit shit isn't she?

I always thought she was a well respected reporter like Diane Sawyer or someone but have just found out she's actually on Fox so obviously not.

Can you imagine British reporter letting a politician say such a stupid think and get away with it.

Leave a comment:

• AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    Memo from the rest of the world to those in the US who'd like to bomb Iran:

It's not our favourite country either, but please don't bomb it, 'cos we'd quite like to avoid World War III if possible, please?
    But seriously, d;you think it was a freudian slip on Palin's part?

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    started a topic McCain/Palin Lovers: This One's For You

McCain/Palin Lovers: This One's For You

According to Palin in a recent interview we are either at war with Iran or will be within the first 100 days of a McCain/Palin administration (and she is not confusing Iran with Iraq - she mentions both): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9LofMCa8A
Working...
X