Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the use of first names for athletes [split]

I hate to play PC cop, but I really must say that I don't think it's right to refer of these athletes by their first name. I haven't seen any discussions of Oregonians Galen, Matthew, and Andrew. We're not talking about Jason, Ronnie, and Booker on the hurdles thread. Why Jessica and Francena? It seems like old-fashioned sexism to me.

Originally posted by tandfman
    I hate to play PC cop, but I really must say that I don't think it's right to refer of these athletes by their first name. I haven't seen any discussions of Oregonians Galen, Matthew, and Andrew. We're not talking about Jason, Ronnie, and Booker on the hurdles thread. Why Jessica and Francena? It seems like old-fashioned sexism to me.
    :? and :? .

Oh yeah...

:?
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

????????

I think Francena wins and is under 50.75. She ran a low key 23.27 into a -2.7w so the speed is definitely there.
      Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban

????????

I think Francena wins and is under 50.75. She ran a low key 23.27 into a -2.7w so the speed is definitely there.
        Sexist!

:lol:

Don't we call Tyson, Tyson, and not Gay?

Well, er, maybe there's a reason for that one. ops:

Comment

Sorry, I meant Beard and McCorory. :roll:

Let me know if we should use prefix's for those names of 'Ronnie or Jason or Xavier, ect' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

Let me know if we should use prefix's for those names of 'Ronnie or Jason or Xavier, ect' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
              Originally posted by guruof track

My apoloiges to all next time I will use their full names.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                Originally posted by Taliban

????????

Sexist!

Don't we call Tyson, Tyson, and not Gay?

Well, er, maybe there's a reason for that one. ops:
                LMAO :lol:
                Afrikan

Comment

It definitely shows disrespect to call women by first name if you wouldn't think of doing it for a guy. It's a practice we heartily discourage.

Having said that, once you reach icon status it takes on a different shading. Obviously when speaking historically everybody knows who Mary was. (besides, Mary easier than trying to remember her last name du jour :-) )

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Obviously when speaking historically everybody knows who Mary was. (besides, Mary easier than trying to remember her last name du jour :-) )
                    Yeah, when Mary Danner became Mary Wineberg I was completely confused . . .

What about Marion and Regina? Maybe we should just use the first names on the women PED users!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      It definitely shows disrespect to call women by first name if you wouldn't think of doing it for a guy. It's a practice we heartily discourage.

Having said that, once you reach icon status it takes on a different shading. Obviously when speaking historically everybody knows who Mary was. (besides, Mary easier than trying to remember her last name du jour :-) )
                      When we speak of the NCAA womens 400m a fan knows who Jessica and Francena are because of their collegiate "icon status." They are NCAA champions and all americans.

If the names arent distinctive or unique no one would do it anyway. I mean if they were both named Jane it may be pointless as the intent is to let people know who you're referring to, not to be disrepectful.

Why would someone say James, when James is so common?

If you have two NCAA stars, for example, in a respective event regardess of gender and they're named Wallace and Jeremy for example then those are the names that may be used. So it has been done for males also -at least to the best of my recollection.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        While not agreeing with either, I notice this trend both by women and for women.

Women the fans seem to want familiarity and thus I notice more woman referring to people of all venues of pop culture and sports by their first name much more than men do.

By the same token, it does seem that more women athletes are referred to by men and women alike by their first names.

Comment

Most people refer to Merritt as Lashawn and Carter as X and Gay as Tyson............is that disrespecful to

I mean it seems a bit ridiculous to me

Comment

Oh not this crap again :roll: I post on tennis forums too and everyone posts Roger, Rafa, Novak as well as Venus, Serena, Maria etc. See, no double standards.

I always see people post Haile, Kenny, Tyson, LaShawn, Usain on here - simply because you can't confuse them with other athletes, unlike 'Paul', 'Matthew', 'Steve', yada yada yada...
                            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                              Oh not this crap again :roll: I post on tennis forums too and everyone posts Roger, Rafa, Novak as well as Venus, Serena, Maria etc. See, no double standards.

I always see people post Haile, Kenny, Tyson, LaShawn, Usain on here - simply because you can't confuse them with other athletes, unlike 'Paul', 'Matthew', 'Steve', yada yada yada...
                              No, we are just closet sexist.

Comment

Working...
                              X