Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Palin

I'm not a sophisticated or even exceptionally politically well informed person. Probably more informed however than your average "Joe Plummer". I did daily watch and read about the recent Presidential election. I could not believe what I saw/hear/read about the qualifications and then her 'performance'of Sarah Palin. She failed (IMHO) at every turn. In my estimation she was painfully out of her league - even at venues far below the national level.

And I thought Tina Fey was more than kind in what would normally be a hey day for the SNL group and other pundit regulars. So my question is - "Was that what I thought it was?" - a sad sad commentary on the condition of our political 'teams'. AND it was also painful to watch how people in her own party 'reach' for ways to support her and what they were witnessing.

I was continually amazed at how inept things were - and now I hear that some think she has a lot of 'potential'. Palin and "Presidential Candidate" are actually being spoken of in the same sentence. Or she may be the 'spokesperson for the republican party" -ouch.

I really have no ax to grind with Sarah Palin the person but that whole deal just jumped out .... woe is me and the USofA if this is what waits for our country.

cringe is the word

Comment

Re: Sarah Palin

Originally posted by no one
      Palin and "Presidential Candidate" are actually being spoken of in the same sentence.
      Clearly she does represent the views of the right, but I agree her performance has been very weak. I still wonder what would have happened if McCain had gone with Pawlenty as a running mate.

Is it possible that the right will stick with Palin and splinter from the republicans that rally around Pawlenty and Powell?

Comment

Palin was a puzzle to me from the get-go. I sincerely thought McCain had a death-wish, politically speaking. But lots of people did end up voting his ticket. Were they just praying he wouldn't die in office, or was it just a case of closing one's eyes and voting Rep no matter what? ?

Comment

I would guess the people who are attracked to Palin feel she is a breath of fresh air, they see politcians as suit and tie wearing stiffs who are cardboard fake.
          phsstt!

Comment

Get real. Most of the people bleating about Palin's qualifications/performance/etc. had no intention of voting for the ticket in the first place. And it's not like her VP opponent has covered himself in glory.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              I would guess the people who are attracked to Palin feel she is a breath of fresh air, they see politcians as suit and tie wearing stiffs who are cardboard fake.
              Ah yes, the cool breeze from Alaska strategy. I doubt THAT will be tried again!

Comment

There is a regular poster on this board, who shall remain nameless, who actually said to me in a pm that Palin was more qualified to be President than Obama and John Kerry. :!: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  There is a regular poster on this board, who shall remain nameless, who actually said to me in a pm that Palin was more qualified to be President than Obama and John Kerry. :!: :shock:
                  LONEWOLF, you rascal, you!!

Comment

The Republicans have moved so far to the right that even I left the party and registered as an independent.

Comment

North Korean politics aside...she's quite pretty.

Got the attractive bespectacled librarian thing working.
                      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                        Get real. Most of the people bleating about Palin's qualifications/performance/etc. had no intention of voting for the ticket in the first place. And it's not like her VP opponent has covered himself in glory.
                        That's total b.s. There were a number of prominent conservatives for whom Sarah Palin was the deal-breaker.
                        Originally posted by Kathleen Parker
                        Palin's recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I've been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I've also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.
                        Originally posted by David Brooks
                        [Sarah Palin] represents a fatal cancer to the Republican party. When I first started in journalism, I worked at the National Review for Bill Buckley. And Buckley famously said he'd rather be ruled by the first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book than by the Harvard faculty. But he didn't think those were the only two options. He thought it was important to have people on the conservative side who celebrated ideas, who celebrated learning. And his whole life was based on that, and that was also true for a lot of the other conservatives in the Reagan era. Reagan had an immense faith in the power of ideas. But there has been a counter, more populist tradition, which is not only to scorn liberal ideas but to scorn ideas entirely. And I'm afraid that Sarah Palin has those prejudices.
                        Even fellow Bible-thumper Pat Robertson didn't think she was ready. When you're a Christian fundamentalist, right-wing, anti-abortion, pro-death penalty, pro-gun, anti-science politician, and you can't win over Pat Robertson, you've got problems.

Comment

She's quitting as governor..

Wow.
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

gm -

not a smackdown here ... at least not intended on my part

did you really, I mean genuinely, believe that Palin was (or even is) a reasonable pick/choice for VP? Take away partisan line. I really just cannot picture. And I don't ever vote party lines anyway - but thats a dif post.

I couldn't "get it", I guess, but it was surreal - I really remain at a loss for adequately describing my 'incredulity'. Still am. If the political (party) machines see that as ... well ....

But - you really thought she was a good candidate? Help me understand as I am more than befuddled. Yep I said that - befuddled.

Comment

I know two generally apolitical women who hadn't registered to vote in 20-odd years and both did last year, both because they said, "I couldn't live with myself if that woman were elected to national office."

Comment

Working...
                              X