Our (R & D & ...?) Politicians - good . bad . ugly?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • no one
    • Oct 2005

Our (R & D & ...?) Politicians - good . bad . ugly?

Having 'grown up' in the 60s and 70s (stopped growing then) I was swept up in the belief/conviction that politicians were .... well you know - not the defenders of truth justice and the american way. As I pointed out in another thread - I prob a bit more politically informed than your average donkey ... or maybe elephant - but prob asbout your ave American - which aint sayin much. But I did have a healthy condescending attitude about politicans - and still somewhat today. Years have mellowed me.

I did have a very interesting 'experience' in grad school. I had a prof who had served time in Washington DC as an aide to Eliot Richardson - during the Watergate era.

This prof started out the class - the first day and asked something like "what do you think about when I say the word politician?" Predictably my response was ... He went on to say that many politicians are decent honorable well intended and genuine people. In fact he said most were. He also said that a portion were corrupted before they came to DC and a portion became corrupted while there. But for the most part ..

I didn't know a heckuva lot about Eliot R but I did some homework - and at least in one circumstance he was a stand-up guy - in the face of a huge political juggernaut.

So , my question is, does the average TFN message board participant believe politics to be a huge ego trip unfettered by any controls self imposed or otherwise, or is there a belief that there are other Eliot Richardsons roaming around in the halls of ...
  • Marlow
    • Jan 2008
    • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

I actually became good friends with Tom Carper, the former governor of and now US Senator from Delaware. I have never met a nicer, more-level-headed GOOD person in my life.

Comment

• lonewolf
      • Oct 2005
      • Indian Territory

I have known a couple of governors, a few Senators and several Representatives. The all talk a good game and most actually did as they promised. Some have been extreme disappointments.
      I am not too embarassed by Oklahoma Senators and Congressmen, and I suppose this is true all over since some of these dummies keep getting re-elected, but my impression of the collective legislative branch is unfavorable.. graft, corruption, rampant pork , unbelievably ignorant/stupid proposals.. :evil:
      The only solution I see is to make me Benevolent Dictator for Life

Comment

• Marlow
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lonewolf
        Having met you, let me say, we could do lots worse! :twisted:

If you want to see an extremely incompetent public servant, read up on Corrine Brown, a US Representative for N Fla.

Of course, no one can ever top DC's ex-mayor (and whoring cocaine addict) Marion Barry.

Comment

• lonewolf
          • Oct 2005
          • Indian Territory

Originally posted by Marlow
          Having met you, let me say, we could do lots worse! :twisted: .
          While I decide whether that is a reverse semi-endorsement or damning with faint praise, may I say, Marlow, that you are proving to be a fairly reliable movie critic and will be under serious consideration for the Cabinet position of Movie Czar in my administration..
          A position not to be scoffed at. brw; it carries an unlimited allowance for theatre tickets, Pepsi and Ding Dongs... and popcorn on High Holidays..

Comment

• Marlow
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Marlow
            Having met you, let me say, we could do lots worse! :twisted: .
            While I decide whether that is a reverse semi-endorsement or damning with faint praise, may I say, Marlow, that you are proving to be a fairly reliable movie critic and will be under serious consideration for the Cabinet position of Movie Czar in my administration.. A position not to be scoffed at. brw; it carries an unlimited allowance for theatre tickets, Pepsi and Ding Dongs... and popcorn on High Holidays..
            Lonewolf For BDfL!!!!

Comment

• no one
              • Oct 2005

a coincidence ???

I looked at the obituaries in the paper this am (I do that at my age) and saw a pic and blurb about the professor I was referring to re: politicians and integrity etc. There I see him as passing away a week ago.

A true renaissance man - he'd been all over the world in various capacities and at all levels of socio-economic strata. Thought it odd as I don't think about him unless 'politicans' and their 'worth' are brought up.

Things that make you think "ummmmm"

Comment

• gm
                • Oct 2005

The late J.J. "Jake" Pickle was a good and decent man who served in the House for 32 years.

Comment

• Pego
                  • Oct 2005
                  • beyond help

Originally posted by lonewolfe
                  My wife also claims the title (I am not so sure about the benevolent part, though). So, pistols at dawn?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• lonewolf
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Indian Territory

Originally posted by Pego
                    Originally posted by lonewolfe
                    My wife also claims the title (I am not so sure about the benevolent part, though). So, pistols at dawn?
                    Bow and arrows at dusk. Or, to be safer, lances at 300 feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X