Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

    Especially on govt property, such as the mall in DC? This might offend someone from Mexico or Saudi Arabia. How can we fly US flags for that matter? Or say the pledge? (I guess that's out now.) What's next?

    When you think about it, the 4th of July is so politically incorrect, so insensitive. So is the Star Spangled Banner. We should just call ourselves "that country between Canada and Mexico."

    I remember back at the '96 OGs, many of the foreign media were upset because the American fans cheered for American athletes and had the gall to wave American flags. They were right. Never mind that Spanish fans cheered for Spanish athletes in '92, etc.

  • #2
    Re: How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

    Originally posted by BillVol
    Especially on govt property, such as the mall in DC? This might offend someone from Mexico or Saudi Arabia. How can we fly US flags for that matter? Or say the pledge? (I guess that's out now.) What's next?
    Bill, you're supposed to get drunk on New Year's Eve, not the 4th of July. Dial it back a bit, bro!

    Comment


    • #3
      Marlow, how about "Imagine" for our new national anthem. That wouldn't offend anybody, would it?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BillVol
          Marlow, how about "Imagine" for our new national anthem. That wouldn't offend anybody, would it?
          "Imagine no religion too"
          Yeah, I think someone won't like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

            Originally posted by BillVol
            Never mind that Spanish fans cheered for Spanish athletes in '92, etc.
            Were they silent for the rest?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh
              I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.
              It's a mystery to me, too. I wasn't aware that patriotism was now considered to be politically incorrect by anyone, regardless of political persuasion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tandfman
                Originally posted by gh
                I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.
                It's a mystery to me, too. I wasn't aware that patriotism was now considered to be politically incorrect by anyone, regardless of political persuasion.
                tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.

                We had a wonderful 4th of July yesterday. But at the same time, it is sad to see what is becoming of this country.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BillVol
                  tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.
                  By a complete nincompoop! I have NEVER met anyone with that misguided perspective.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by BillVol
                    tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.
                    By a complete nincompoop! I have NEVER met anyone with that misguided perspective.
                    Sounds like something you'd hear on Faux News to stir up a nonexistent issue.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X