Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The great global warming fizzle

Originally posted by kuha

You're kidding, right? The acceptance/rejection of the scientific consensus reflects "political persuasion" rather starkly.
    Oh, totally. I find it pathetic when all the right wingers talk about our children and grand children. Sadly, they never have the environment in mind when they spout those lines.

All this normal cycles talk gets old when you pay attention to what is happening in the oceans and on land.

Comment

I deplore this annual bloodbath thread destroying twelve months of healing from insults by those with different opinions.

But, since I broke my resolution to not even open it this year and I have already pissed off most here on politics and religion, I might as welll add science.

My opinion has not changed since my 2011 post (see above). Simply stated, Global Warming is cyclic and man can neither cause or prevent it.

Further, during the intervening two years it is now reported that there has been a decline/hiatus in warming and there has been a shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".
        I have always respected your opinion on many subjects, including this one. Putting "scientists" in quotes makes one shake his head. Roughly 98% of climate scientists and all developed countries' Academies of Science signed on the man's contribution to the current climate change. That is not some fringe minority.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
          shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".
          I have always respected your opinion on many subjects, including this one. Roughly 98% of climate scientists and all developed countries' Academies of Science signed on the man's contribution to the current climate change. That is not some fringe minority.
          Ditto. There certainly are climate cycles irrespective of man, but right now, our greenhouse gases are doing a number on the polar icecaps, far beyond anything Mother Nature had in mind.

Comment

Here is my annual re-assurance for those concerned about climate change/global warming. Climate changes, earth warms and cools. It is not your fault and there is nothing you can do bout it. Don't worry, it is all going to be OK.

Comment

Here is my annual re-assurance for those concerned about climate change/global warming. Climate changes, earth warms and cools. It is not your fault and there is nothing you can do bout it. Don't worry, it is all going to be OK.
              What industry are you involved with?

Comment

Despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by booond
                  What industry are you involved with?
                  Hint: 'petro' is somewhere in the answer. :wink:

Comment

We do realize that Lonewolf will be long gone when the reality of what he pooh poohs will be embraced by even the conservatives.

Comment

Is Lonewolf not correct in stating that the Earth cools down, then heats up, and the first few million times this happened humans had nothing to do with it? We wish we had that kind of control over Mother Nature.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                        Is Lonewolf not correct in stating that the Earth cools down, then heats up, and the first few million times this happened humans had nothing to do with it?
                        Absolutely. What does that have to do with the FACT* that man is heating it up at an alarming rate that could directly endanger our descendants?

* but only if you believe >90% of all data-carrying climatologists.

Comment

I still think that our affect is over-stated. I'm not an expert, but I do know that one volcano alone (admittedly a big one) could change it all back in a week. In the grand-scheme I think we (people) are small-potatoes concerning global warming.

On this issue I'm a leaner, not a rooted oak, so I'll keep my eyes open and keep reading up and listening to both sides.
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                            I still think that our affect is over-stated. I'm not an expert, but I do know that one volcano alone (admittedly a big one) could change it all back in a week. In the grand-scheme I think we (people) are small-potatoes concerning global warming.
                            The once-in-an-eon titanic episode of volcanism aside, that's incorrect.

According to the USGS, land and underwater volcanos output around 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually, while global fossil fuel CO2 emissions in 2003 topped 26.3 billion tonnes. And more:

While there is uncertainty in the measurements--researchers estimate between 0.13 and 0.44 billion metric tons per year, with their best estimates between 0.15 and 0.26 billion tons--even the highest end of the range is dwarfed by anthropogenic emissions of 35 billion metric tons in 2010.

Gerlach noted that human land-use changes alone, which include deforestation, release 3.5 billion metric tons per year. Cars and light-duty trucks produce 2 billion metric tons; even cement production produces 1.5 billion tons. Any of these by itself is still several times higher than the annual emissions of all of the world's volcanoes .
                            http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather ... 106271.htm

About 40% of human CO2 emissions are being absorbed, mostly by vegetation and the oceans. The rest remains in the atmosphere. As a consequence, atmospheric CO2 is at its highest level in 15 to 20 million years (Tripati 2009). A natural change of 100ppm normally takes 5,000 to 20.000 years. The recent increase of 100ppm has taken just 120 years.
                            http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-c ... ediate.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X