Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

There’s been a lot of discussion lately concerning Paula Deen’s use of the “N” word. There were other allegations in her accuser’s deposition, but Paula’s empire has literally crumbled as a result of her language -- and other actions: JC Penney, Sears-Kmart, Ballantine Books (cancelled book deal), Wal-Mart, Target, Food Network, QVC, Home Depot, and a few others are now gone:

http://www.examiner.com/article/paula-d ... rsial-cook

There are some who don't understand why it’s "okay" for blacks (particularly, rappers) to use the N word without repercussions and others can’t. Are individuals that dense?

* Steven Spielberg can refer to a Jewish guy as a “Crazy Jew”, but Mel Gibson can’t
    * Perez Hilton (gay blogger) can use the F word when referring to a gay actor, but Isaiah Washington can’t
    * Paul Rodriguez can use a Latino slur in his routine, but Michael Richards can’t
    * A female work colleague can use the “b” word in anger with a peer (without major repercussions), but a male can’t.

Amazingly, there are some who wonder why Paula has been punished for using a term that they routinely hear in public conversations, as well as in music. I’m black and grew up in a household where we were not allowed to use the word. It bugs me when I hear it in any capacity, and I CRINGE whenever I hear other blacks use the term in mixed company.

Re: Who Can Use the (insert letter) Word?

What's crazy is that she used the word long ago and is facing these repercussions.

Compare that to Alec Baldwin, who has faced virtually no backlash to saying things like this,
    "If put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much"
    "I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f**k you... up"

Comment

Originally posted by dustoff
      What's crazy is that she used the word long ago and is facing these repercussions.
      Not so crazy, I think:
      Originally posted by The New Yorker
      Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”
      http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html

Comment

[quote=Ned Ryerson]
        Not so crazy, I think:
        [quote="The New Yorker":24vm3ys1]
        Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/paula-deens-ugly-roots.html"]http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html[/url][/quote:24vm3ys1]

Did you read what she actually said, not just one person's fucked interpretation?

The Wiki, of course, has the exact quotes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Deen ... ontroversy

Having black servants in a plantation style event... likely in bad taste and of questionable judgment, but I can't imagine how you can accurately depict it otherwise. I am not sure what that has to do with her using the N word decades ago.

Comment

It wasn't the word, per se, but the context, displaying her seemingly oblivious racism, that saw the reaction bloom this time: Referring to some club's Plantation Even staffed by bow-tie uniformed waiters, so nicely behaved (aka fawning over her), she naively pointed out that they were different, being so "professional".

Disclaimer: Like most of my News, I got this from The Daily Show, with John Oliver (s)laying it out, esp. the gooey food connection. Since the broader topic was presented in the context of the latest star to trip on such a word, I thought it best to at least get that context straight.

Edit: Ooops, looks like I didn't either,but maybe the point of "Why only now?" can best be answered by the current Social Media context, as well as the wider divulgence of Cable shows as on Comedy Central--where parody is often the best remedy.

Comment

[quote=dustoff][quote=Ned Ryerson]
            Not so crazy, I think:
            Originally posted by The New Yorker":3l6yzqna]
            Deen has repeatedly defended herself over the past week, denying that she is a racist. But she keeps getting tripped up by the fact that the N-word does mean something to her, and when she has used it she intends for it to be a grave insult. Crisply dressed black waiters who served her in another Southern restaurant? In the deposition, she denies referring to them with that word. “No, because that’s not what these men were,” she says. “They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/paula-deens-ugly-roots.html
            http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... roots.html[/url]
            Did you read what she actually said, not just one person's fucked interpretation?

The Wiki, of course, has the exact quotes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Deen ... ontroversy

Having black servants in a plantation style event... likely in bad taste and of questionable judgment, but I can't imagine how you can accurately depict it otherwise. I am not sure what that has to do with her using the N word decades ago.[/quote:3l6yzqna]

Did you read it? She said it came to mind when she was held at gunpoint by a black man. Is that where your mind would go, to use that word to describe your assailant? Of all the words to express rage with someone, you pick that one, one of the most racially charged words in English?

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
              Did you read it? She said it came to mind when she was held at gunpoint by a black man. Is that where your mind would go, to use that word to describe your assailant? Of all the words to express rage with someone, you pick that one, one of the most racially charged words in English?
              Yes, she admitted that she said it decades ago, gave the context, and her views have changed over the yers. She didn't seem to give much of any excuse for it. She clearly used it in poor taste. Are we really holding people's careers to something they said to their spouse what, 30-40 years ago?

I am not saying it is okay she used the word. It isn't. She acknowledges that as well. The thing is people have said worse and not faced nearly the same consequences and this is about something she said many many years ago and to her husband during what was likely an emotional outburst.

The real problem with this shows that there is no incentive for a public figure to ever be [entirely] truthful about things in their past.

Comment

I feel badly for Deen - she is as much a victim of geography as she is a latent racist. It wasn't until I moved down here (the South) in the mid 70s, that I fully understood institutional, culturally pervasive racism. Growing up in the 60s in a very social activist New England milieu, racism (and the N-word) was a Big Deal, to be dealt with with ACTION. Coming to the South, where it was a casually acceptable thing among the least educated (and some of the other), I was amazed and put in a very difficult circumstance.
                Paula is/was just a good-ol-girl who grew up in this circumstance. She didn't know any better, probably until the late 80s. That does not condone her attitude, but it puts it in context. Fortunately this casual racism is almost completely eradicated in most suburban areas now (have no idea how it's playing out in the hinterlands), but its heritage is hard to get out from under for those who grew up with it.

Comment

Paula Deen is clearly an idiot but this ridiculous witch hunt against her leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

i think the n word should not be used by anyone, it is a vile, reprehensible word historically.

1. it is extremely disrespectful to the dead who were brought over inhumanely chained side by side in boats, they did not let them go to the bathroom so being in feces and urine many got sick, died and thrown in the ocean, several million died over the years, think of the 9-11-2001 incident and multiply it by at least a THOUSAND.

2. whites should not use it as it is offensive and disrespectful to all who faced injustice and inhumanity based solely on their color.

3. blacks should not use it either as it is incredibly disrespectful to the blacks who died, faced injustice and inhumanity, the girl in the zimmerman trial said she did not want to use the exact racial terms in front of martins parents because it was cursing actually to an older black or any black person with a brain it is far worse than cursing.

4. as for the rappers using it, they should not be the moral campus leading america, racial terms, cursing, degenerating woman, glorifying the most negative black stereotypes to the max, i wish we they would sing about social issues like, marvin gaye, curtis mayfield etc, in an eloquent, articulate and in intelligent way.

5. doubt things will improve, republicans wont do much as blacks rarely vote for them, the democrat politicians who rely on black votes are puppets to black activist because they want their endorsement, and the black activist's jackson, sharpton etc. want blacks to think of themselves as victims and see blacks do poorly WHY? well if blacks did well and did not look at themselves as victims the j. jacksons/a. sharpton's would lose their jobs, their high paying jobs.

6. in my opinion nobody regardless of race, ethnicity, color should use the term.

Comment

Vilifying a person for something that was said nearly 30 years ago is beyond ridiculous. I doubt there is a person in this world that hasn't done something stupid, or said something stupid, or even racist at some point in their lives. To try and punish and demean them knowing nothing about their present character is reprehensible. What is worse? The original statement, or the reactions and defamation going on now?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        Coming to the South, where it was a casually acceptable thing among the least educated (and some of the other), I was amazed and put in a very difficult circumstance.
                        Moving from California to the south in the 1980s I was shocked at the casual usage of the N word. It was pervasive - work, school, play, etc. It wasn't like I hadn't heard the word in CA but the difference was staggering. I wasn't in the south two weeks before the KKK had a rally that closed down a major nearby highway to hand out literature. Good time to be white . . .

Comment

Compare that to Alec Baldwin, who has faced virtually no backlash to saying things like this,
                          "If put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much"
                          "I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f**k you... up"
                          Why would he face a backlash for that? Other than George Stark who else would be offended?

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                            Why would he face a backlash for that? Other than George Stark who else would be offended?
                            George Stark is gay
                            Queen = homophobic slur
                            Implying foot up ass = enjoy because he is gay

Compare the fact he said this recently vs Paula Deen using the N word ~30 years ago with her husband when describing somebody who stuck a gun in her face.

Comment

I'm not offended. :?

'Queen' is hardly comparable to 'Nigger'.

Comment

Working...
                              X