Clear All

• why can't I own a Canadian?

just asking!

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Why_can't_ ... anadian%3F

Re: why can't I own a Canadian?

Not worth the investment.

Comment

That's a good one, Jim ... a very good one !

Comment

Technically Canadians can't own another Canadian. Americans on the other hand can buy us cheap. :wink:

Comment

...but can Mexicans own Canadians and vice versa? :?:

Comment

That letter illustrates perfectly why I look askance at many/most/all Biblical/Koranic "guide books." If they were meant literally for the time, they are barbaric. That some are interpreted literally to this date is ...barbaric/ignorant/pathetic/pick an adjective...

People tend to believe without question what they are told as a child regarding religion. Many/most just go along with the package and never get around to wondering about the specifics. All their parents cannot be right in their divergent beliefs.

As I have said before, if people take comfort in their religion, good for them.

Comment

yep, one's religious belief's are basically an (geographical) accident of birth.

Comment

which is why I thank my parents for making me go to Sunday school until I was about 15, at which point they said, "choose your own path, my son."

(even though I didn't come to know his rationale until years after this decision was made, my father was vigorously anti-religion, having seen about 50% of his high school class die in WWII and then hearing after VE day in '45 an army chaplin stand up and say, "let's thank god for our winning the war."

(my mother's experience is even worse; she used to show me, tears in eyes, of a picture of her and the crew at the bank she worked at in 1938: like maybe 7 women and 7 men, and within 2-3 years all but 1 of the guys was dead)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  my father was vigorously anti-religion, having seen about 50% of his high school class die in WWII and then hearing after VE day in '45 an army chaplin stand up and say, "let's thank god for our winning the war."

(my mother's experience is even worse; she used to show me, tears in eyes, of a picture of her and the crew at the bank she worked at in 1938: like maybe 7 women and 7 men, and within 2-3 years all but 1 of the guys was dead)
                  Not that I'm a fan of wars in any way, but that seems higly improbable from the statistical point of view. 0.4% of Canadians lost lives in WWII; even if you only consider the male population of the right (or wrong) age to fight, that proportion couldn't have been more than 5%.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    (even though I didn't come to know his rationale until years after this decision was made, my father was vigorously anti-religion, having seen about 50% of his high school class die in WWII and then hearing after VE day in '45 an army chaplin stand up and say, "let's thank god for our winning the war.")
                    To the completely rational it would seem hard to find the coherent thread in the above ... what is the connection between being pro war and being pro religion, especially during WW2. I think what the above shows is that much of our views of religion and war (both for the religious and irreligious) are shaped solely by our fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      (even though I didn't come to know his rationale until years after this decision was made, my father was vigorously anti-religion, having seen about 50% of his high school class die in WWII and then hearing after VE day in '45 an army chaplin stand up and say, "let's thank god for our winning the war.")
                      .. what is the connection between being pro war and being religious or theist, especially during WW2. Should I believe in God because some drug addled crank on the subway is screaming atheistic slogans? of course not. I think what the above shows is that much of our views of religion and war (both for the religious and irreligious) are shaped largely by our parents.... and that is probably a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X