X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Use of drones

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I believe Marlow was trying to walk back his earlier post, after realizing that he had stepped on a slippery slope.
    Yup. But, as I intimated, there are some people who need snuffing. Discerning that need, ordering it, and carrying it out, is where the problems lie. When we snuffed Osama bin Laden, I also had mixed feelings, even though he 'deserved' it.
    For the most part, I have no problem with the Osama bin Laden raid.
    • 1) He was a sworn enemy of the U.S.

2) He had a collaborative/operational relationship with the 9/11 hijackers.

3) The U.S. Congress nearly unanimously (518-1) declared war on Al Qaeda.

4) The U.N. Security Council unanimously authorized the U.S. to go after Al Qaeda.

My only reservation was that at the time of the raid, Obama wasn't 100% certain that Osama bin Laden was at the house in question, and I believe Presidents should only make decisions on war and peace based on what they KNOW (eg. Adlai Stevenson before the U.N. in 1962), not what they think, believe or suspect FYI, this lack of certainty is why Joe Biden opposed the raid.

Comment

Obviously, we don't know everything the US knew before the Bin Laden raid but what we are told is enough to satisfy me the raid was justified.

Comment

To be clear, Obama himself admitted on 60 Minutes that he had a high degree of confidence that it was Osama bin Laden, but our intelligence was never able provide him with the sort of ironclad proof that the Adlai Stevenson presented before the U.N., and the possible repercussions from guessing wrong were in the back of his mind and caused him to put off the raid for months.

Comment

Working...
        X