Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How clean do you believe T&F is today?

I have always loved Track and Field, but I still worry about how prevalent doping is today. With the Tour de France beginning, I can honestly say that I can't watch it anymore without thinking that the leaders are all cheating. My faith in T&F waxes and wanes with each new scandal. I imagine those who post on this particular message board have enough faith to sustain them.

Re: How clean do you believe T&F is today?

Cleaner than many believe, dirtier than we'd like it to be.

The problem lies in the gray area of what actually 'enhances' performance. I'm on Pego's side in this debate. Many banned items are less effective than many believe. The placebo effect may be more powerful than the actual 'substances' themselves. That said - EPO, anabolic steroids, testosterone, Human Growth Hormone, yeah, they work, and should remain banned. Lots of other stuff, not so much. If you wanna drink a double-espresso, knock yourself out. Some of the other stimulants . . . same thing.

Comment

Cleaner than when there was more state-sponsored cheating but it's still dirty and will remain so as long as there are competitions. People are wired to cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by booond
        Cleaner than when there was more state-sponsored cheating but it's still dirty and will remain so as long as there are competitions. People are wired to cheat.
        Slight disagreement: People are wired to "succeed" (some more than others, but the 'will to power' or perhaps "to prestige' isn't a trivial thing)--and we have the mental machinery to find endless justifications for whatever we do.

Comment

I'll accept that politically-correct modification.

Comment

As long as there is:

1. Glory in winning
            2. Money to be had in winning
            3. Power in winning

There will ALWAYS be cheating.

There will always be denials when caught.

Comment

When people come back for PED bans faster/stronger/better - I don't know if I can make that work.

Gatlin
              Nellie Cruz (baseball)

Just a couple of quick examples.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by booond
                I'll accept that politically-correct modification.
                Nietzsche is insulted, but he's used to it.

Comment

Better now in the more traditional ways of taking an edge but worse on the designer level is my best guess.

As long as human medicine continues to make advances and enablers and users want to take an edge, it will never change.

Everybody knows the effective means of cheating. There are only a few things that work. The challenge for cheaters remains finding new ways to mask and deliver the drugs. Until enablers are jailed for long terms and athletes are barred from the sport, nothing will change much for the better.

I like Gatlin and Gay, but for the good of the sport, they should not be running right now. They should have lost their right to do so.

This game should be about the best clean athletes, not the best including cheaters.
                  "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Working...
                  X