Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democrats: Who would you choose in 2020?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats: Who would you choose in 2020?

Democrats: If all of the potential and eligible candidates for president were to run in 2020, who would be your choice? Below is my top 5 list. It's rather shallow as it's limited to those Dems I'm familiar with and I'm pretty sure most or all of them won't actually be running.

If you're familiar with those more likely to run, I'd be interested to see your choices. Obviously I haven't dug too deep.

1. Cory Booker
    2. Al Franken
    3. Elizabeth Warren
    4. (tie)Bernie S./Joe B.

Note: While I tend toward Left and Liberal, I would not necessarily be opposed to a moderate Republican or someone outside either party. Especially against a flawed Dem candidate.

Note 2: I was a HUGE Obama fan and miss him every day in the office. Didn't do a perfect job and had imperfections, but in my book he's #1 president in my lifetime.

Originally posted by steveu View Post
    Note: While I tend toward Left and Liberal, I would not necessarily be opposed to a moderate Republican or someone outside either party.
    I LOVE the congressman (Republican!) I linked on the first thread in this forum.

Comment

Warren or Harris (California)...

Please let it be a women to save the world from the traitorous psychopath pres. Caligula.

Comment

California has a couple good potentials: Kamala Harris (as beebee said), and also Gavin Newsom will likely run. Franken would be interesting, but I think he has more power staying in the Senate -- also I'm not sure he'd be interested in the job. No Joe Biden, no Bernie Sanders!

Comment

1. Sen. Amy Klobuchar. She gets strong bipartisan support (65% of votes in 2012) in a purple state, and does not have a single enemy in the Senate.

2. Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Another candidate with a very strong bipartisan support in his state, although Republicans in NY are not like those in most of the country. He has extended executive experience in NY as well as the federal gov.

The biggest downside for both could be their age. The oldest Democratic first-timer to be elected since WWII is Jimmy Carter at 52. (JFK, Clinton and Obama were all in their 40s.) If you want to go young, one of the Castro brothers, or Tulsi Gabbard.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the chance to familiarize myself with some names not otherwise familiar. Interesting...

Comment

Hillary is still the most famous democrat out there, and apparently, being a celebrity is the most important thing in presidential politics these days. She will still be younger than Trump in 2020 (if I understand how aging works).

She will run again, and might even win. I don't endorse this as a good idea, but it will happen.

Heck, if Trump doesn't run a 2nd time, they might even find some guy named Bush to run against Clinton.

Note: though I responded to the thread, I am not a democrat and I never vote in primaries because I don't identify with any of the political parties out there.
              Last edited by Merner521; 07-04-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Do you really think Hilary Clinton will run again? I thought there was sort of an understanding that she was done running for president, LOL. I have mixed feelings about her and her ability to run the country -- some good, some not so good -- but at this point I truly would think almost all would want some "new blood" in there. It just seems kinda morbid that she would run again.

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                Hillary is still the most famous democrat out there, and apparently, being a celebrity is the most important thing in presidential politics these days. She will still be younger than Trump in 2020 (if I understand how aging works).

She will run again, and might even win. I don't endorse this as a good idea, but it will happen.

Heck, if Trump doesn't run a 2nd time, they might even find some guy named Bush to run against Clinton.

Note: though I responded to the thread, I am not a democrat and I never vote in primaries because I don't identify with any of the political parties out there.

Comment

It's way to early for this for me. Warren and Sanders are no go, too left. Clinton should hang it up. What Democrats need to do is focus on state races and intra state races and win back those that strayed and win over those who rue Trump. Someone will rise from the ashes.

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                    would want some "new blood" in there. It just seems kinda morbid that she would run again.
                    I think a lot people had those same feelings in 2008...

Comment

One race at a time. Take as many wins as possible in 2018 and then storm the White House.

Warren and Sanders too left and too old.
                      Franken has said quite often he doesn't want it.
                      Harris is great but is a younger version of Warren and Sanders.
                      Newsom is DULL; Klobuchar needs something extra.

Booker is the selection - smart, charismatic, and moderateish. Not my personal fave but he is a viable candidate.

Comment

I know both she and Barack have said it's an absolute NO!---but I wouldn't mind having Michelle Obama as my President!!

And I ain't joking!

Forget Hillary!
                        She's lost before (TWICE!!)---and would be about 74 when she took office!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                          I know both she and Barack have said it's an absolute NO!---but I wouldn't mind having Michelle Obama as my President!!
                          And I ain't joking!
                          Forget Hillary!
                          She's lost before (TWICE!!)---and would be about 74 when she took office!
                          I woldn't vote for her, but I would prefer her over the other ex-Prez mate, Hillary.

Comment

Working...
                          X