Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump's 4th of July

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trump's 4th of July

    OK, I'll wade into this cess-pool of an annual forum . . . .

    It's hard to fault Trump for wanting to celebrate one of America's greatest holidays (Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are pretty cool too, though they seem redundant - whether you lost you lost your life or not, thank you for serving), but I hate the idea of vaunting our military technology. It's all meant to kill people; why would we cheer for a tank or a missile or any weapon, for that matter? Cheer for the people who serve, not the means by which we can annihiliate masses of people. We are not Hitler or the Soviets. Have a Blue Angels show to show the great skills these pilots have. I love the roar of their engines when they go straight up in after-burner! It's sounds like . . . freedom . . . not death and destruction.

    Plus, I don't trust for one second that he won't turn his speech at the Lincoln Memorial into a political rant.

    My 20 years in a combat arm of the Navy makes me proud, but I do not celebrate war or death. We don't need to glorify the machines of it.

  • #2
    Totally agree with you Atticus. Even though not a US citizen, I consider my 4 years serving in the US Army as one of the best things I have done. But Trump just makes me want to vomit most of the time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      Totally agree with you Atticus. Even though not a US citizen, I consider my 4 years serving in the US Army as one of the best things I have done. But Trump just makes me want to vomit most of the time.
      Yes!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        OK, I'll wade into this cess-pool of an annual forum . . . .

        It's hard to fault Trump for wanting to celebrate one of America's greatest holidays (Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are pretty cool too, though they seem redundant - whether you lost you lost your life or not, thank you for serving), but I hate the idea of vaunting our military technology. It's all meant to kill people; why would we cheer for a tank or a missile or any weapon, for that matter? Cheer for the people who serve, not the means by which we can annihiliate masses of people. We are not Hitler or the Soviets. Have a Blue Angels show to show the great skills these pilots have. I love the roar of their engines when they go straight up in after-burner! It's sounds like . . . freedom . . . not death and destruction.

        Plus, I don't trust for one second that he won't turn his speech at the Lincoln Memorial into a political rant.

        My 20 years in a combat arm of the Navy makes me proud, but I do not celebrate war or death. We don't need to glorify the machines of it.
        Thanksgiving is the best holiday; July 4th had become sort of a summer turkey day. Hopefully this stain will wash out.

        Comment


        • #5
          We'll just trade one stain for another. I'm not to hopeful for our nation politically.

          Both sides are train wrecks with unreasonable behavior and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

            Both sides are train wrecks with unreasonable behavior and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.
            Genuine question.

            What behaviour on the Democrats side do you deem to be unreasonable on the same scale as GOP/Trump?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
              Both sides are train wrecks with unreasonable behavior and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.
              It may be time for **gasp** the ONE-party system, where anyone can run as an Independent for an office in a primary and then we have a run-off. You campaign on a personal agenda and if voters like it, they vote for YOU, not the party. And there is no 'party apparatus' to put people in position to be elected (cf. Communist Party in USSR), nor is there bloc-voting in Congress.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                Genuine question.

                What behaviour on the Democrats side do you deem to be unreasonable on the same scale as GOP/Trump?
                Agree...there is nothing on the Democratic side compared to the lunacy on the Republicans....and I'm talking about elected officials ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Plus, I don't trust for one second that he won't turn his speech at the Lincoln Memorial into a political rant.
                  Ya think? What would Republicans had done if Obama had behaved the way Trump does? Hell, they were up in arms at the idea of Obama having a non-partisan conversation with school kids.

                  http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/04/obama.schools/
                  Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-04-2019, 05:37 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    It may be time for **gasp** the ONE-party system, where anyone can run as an Independent for an office in a primary and then we have a run-off. You campaign on a personal agenda and if voters like it, they vote for YOU, not the party. And there is no 'party apparatus' to put people in position to be elected (cf. Communist Party in USSR), nor is there bloc-voting in Congress.
                    The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.

                    Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.

                    I'm moderate...which means I'm torn. The last few elections are 45-55 or 48-52 battles in my mind. I hate it. Both sides have policies, beliefs, actions I like/agree with and both have stuff I hate. I have to get the Scales out and do my best and then swallow the bitter pill that comes with my vote.

                    I like Atticus' idea, or some form of it.

                    I'm sure I'll think of more things on this topic when I'm in the shower or driving or running but that's it for now.
                    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                      The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.

                      Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.

                      I'm moderate...which means I'm torn. The last few elections are 45-55 or 48-52 battles in my mind. I hate it. Both sides have policies, beliefs, actions I like/agree with and both have stuff I hate. I have to get the Scales out and do my best and then swallow the bitter pill that comes with my vote.

                      I like Atticus' idea, or some form of it.

                      I'm sure I'll think of more things on this topic when I'm in the shower or driving or running but that's it for now.
                      You can't be moderate if you're trying to decide on which side to vote. Trump would never be a vote for a moderate.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                        Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.
                        Come on scott, that's a cop out. Flumpy's question seemed genuine to me, not rhetorical. If you believe that elected Democrats have behaved as poorly recently as elected Republicans, certainly you can cite a few examples. Can you at least us which elected Democrat you believe has conducted himself as poorly as Trump?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          It may be time for **gasp** the ONE-party system, where anyone can run as an Independent for an office in a primary and then we have a run-off. You campaign on a personal agenda and if voters like it, they vote for YOU, not the party. And there is no 'party apparatus' to put people in position to be elected (cf. Communist Party in USSR), nor is there bloc-voting in Congress.
                          A personal agenda? Without control of Congress you can't do anything....and that requires a party....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                            The two party system is broken for me. The last election was the biggest no-win in US history. I've never felt such despondency trying to figure out who/what to vote for.

                            Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.

                            I'm moderate...which means I'm torn. The last few elections are 45-55 or 48-52 battles in my mind. I hate it. Both sides have policies, beliefs, actions I like/agree with and both have stuff I hate. I have to get the Scales out and do my best and then swallow the bitter pill that comes with my vote.

                            I like Atticus' idea, or some form of it.

                            I'm sure I'll think of more things on this topic when I'm in the shower or driving or running but that's it for now.
                            What exact policies of the Democrats do you find so horrible?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                              Flumpy - genuine answer - if I have to answer that for you that means you can't see the problems on the left...which means you won't see them...and nothing I can say will change that.
                              For starters, the Democrats' Green New Deal with its corollary ideas: student loan forgiveness - free college! - minimum guaranteed income, every building retrofitted to sustainable energy sources, etc., is a wonderful idea, and we desperately need much of it, but the cost is impossible. It's great to come up with these ideas, but someone, somewhere, somehow, has to pay for it all.
                              I'm anti-almost everything Republican, but that doesn't mean I'm all in on every Dem pie-in-the-sky notion. I want a progressive Moderate!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X