Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Really smoky in Eugene right now.

Kind of eerie.

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Really smoky in Eugene right now.

Kind of eerie.
    mrs. hammy and I comment on this about a half hour prior to your post - the smoke came on really fast - it was clear as could be an hour earlier. But unable to put one and one together before your note, at the time I read your post I'd been eating dinner consisting of, in part, some leftover monster squash we'd cooked on the barbecue the night before and I was thinking to myself - wow, the BBQ added a real smokey smell to the squash. Your note lit up the dim light-bulb in my head and I closed all the doors and windows and fired up the AC, which in the short term fixed the smokey smell issue but in the long run is part of the problem . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

mrs. hammy and I comment on this about a half hour prior to your post - the smoke came on really fast - it was clear as could be an hour earlier. But unable to put one and one together before your note, at the time I read your post I'd been eating dinner consisting of, in part, some leftover monster squash we'd cooked on the barbecue the night before and I was thinking to myself - wow, the BBQ added a real smokey smell to the squash. Your note lit up the dim light-bulb in my head and I closed all the doors and windows and fired up the AC, which in the short term fixed the smokey smell issue but in the long run is part of the problem . . .
      It came on real fast. Sitting outside and still nice out. 15 minutes incredibly smoky. Closed the windows and ran the ac all night.

The sky now this morning is dark and orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

It came on real fast. Sitting outside and still nice out. 15 minutes incredibly smoky. Closed the windows and ran the ac all night.

The sky now this morning is dark and orange.
        It was actually darker at 8am than it was at 7am this morning. Our power company shut down all substations this morning around 1am and brought at least ours back up seven hours later, a precaution in the wind storm to avoid being the next Pacific Gas & Electric, with their transmission equipment setting of deadly conflagrations.

Comment

Dark and orange again. Sky looks like Mars.

Comment

That is what it looks like right now in Eugene. Deep orange haze.

Comment

Sky now in Eugene. Sun is bright red.

Comment

https://www.registerguard.com/story/...ut/5743094002/

Comment

In front of the house now.

Comment

The the big fire near Eugene is about 50 crow-fly miles from Hayward Field and the winds are heading Eugene's way, while the current must-evacuate point is 20 miles away. The Tubbs fire in 2017 ripped through a large part of Santa Rosa, CA like butter, a town about the size of Eugene/Springfield, so urban areas are definitely vulnerable. The winds are supposed to slow down after today but the heat's way up and humidity way down. Things are not rosy around here . . .

From Dana Sparks at the RegisterGuard:
                    eugene's smoking.JPG
                    Last edited by bad hammy; 09-08-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Place like Hendricks and that area could be vulnerable.

Comment

That is awful bad hammy. Nothing scarier to me in nature than a wildfire. Hope it slows down and snuffs out before more damage is done.

Comment

Working...
                        X