Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the best movie-star runners (or their doubles)?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the best movie-star runners (or their doubles)?

Here's one that you wouldn't think of, but as soon as I bring it up you'll think of it a lot.

Ursula Andress in "Dr. No."

However, I don't want to twist it completely in that direction, so I also offer Daniel Day-Lewis in "Last of the Mohicans" as the best male runner.

Real track & field athletes who get into movies for themselves or even as actors probably shouldn't count unless their specialty wasn't running.

Re: Who are the best movie-star runners (or their doubles)?

I watch Jennifer Garner every week in 'Alias' and in the movie 'Elektra', and I seriously need a week with her to teach her to RUN, not sashay. Don't they need a Technical Advisor?

Comment

What about Hoffman's style in the Marathon man. Quite a shuffle.

Comment

there is a wonderful slo-mo of bo derek on the beach in the movie "10" very informative, great form

worst runners in movies- any actress running from a monster in a 1950s si-fi flick

"down goes frazier,down goes frazier!"
        phsstt!

Comment

BTW, I was serious about Ursulla Andress in Dr. No. Pull the film out of your collection. Her "running" form is outstanding.

As for Daniel Day-Lewis, perhaps the camera-man had a role in that.

Comment

A few years ago, I believe markhj posted some interesting info on how Ian Charleston, Ben Cross, and Nigel Havers were made to look so good in Chariots of Fire.

Comment

Hoffman in the running man was hilarious? Is it safe? It's very very safe........

Comment

It's NOT safe. Hoffman said so when Olivier walked out of the bank.

Comment

Here is a list that pops into my head...other than Chariots of Fire, there is no particluar order of merit.

-Ben Cross and company in Chariots of Fire.
                  -Robby Benson in Running Brave.
                  -Mel Gibson and his co-star in Galipoli.
                  -Both stars of the moives about Pre.
                  -Omar Epps in Higher Learning.
                  -Brad Pitt and Rick Schroeder in made for TV movie about two running brothers...name???

Comment

Susan Anton in Golden Girl ( oh my heart)

Comment

>A few years ago, I believe markhj posted some interesting info on how Ian
                      >Charleston, Ben Cross, and Nigel Havers were made to look so good in Chariots
                      >of Fire.
                      >>>

Yeah. They were taught the basics in running form, LJ-ing and hurdling for weeks/months beforehand by Tom McNab, one of the UKs leading coaches. They trained at my base in Haringay, North London so I was around them a lot. I was meant to be in the 100m final as a German as I have blond hair. However, I had an ankle injury so pulled out just before filming; I thought it was probably going to end up as a straight-to-video movie. Wrong! I was pissed when it won best Oscar!

Of of my mates, Andy Kerr (a Scot 46sec 400m guy), can be seen laughing as he goes over the line. Reason? The others are running as fast as possible and he had to stride to allow them to get ahead; literally had trouble running so slowly!

Harold Abrahams was the head of the Brit Association just before my time. Some of my older team mates knew him though; he was apparently a complete a**hole. Other interesting trivia: one of the executive producers was Dodi Fayed of Princess Di fame.

Comment

"Real track & field atheletes who got into movies for themselves or even as actors probably shouldn't count unless their specialty wasn't running."
                        O.K. I know I'm not holding to the rule on this one by mentioning Roscoe Lee Browne running in that mediocre film "Topaz" by Hitchcock, but its not like he got into acting because he was a runner, but more like he was an actor who happended to have been a runner.
                        I haven't seen it in decades and can't say I remember it (except for his occassional over-acting) but what is the verdict from you coaches out there about Burt Lancaster in the Thorpe bio?

Comment

Mel Gibson rocks, but I think I might have to give the nod to Will Smith.

His run down of an alien in Men In Black was impressive. Very nice stride and similar to Carl Lewis in size. He also, looked impressive running down a robot in I, Robot. It seems that the directors think he does well with the fast action sequences like these and he obviously has talent. In both cases it is predominately him in the shot.
                          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Kenny Moore????

Comment

Kenny Moore doesn't count.

No one has mentioned Tom Cruise. I haven't looked at him from this angle, but I know that he runs in a lot of films.

Recall that my question is who are the best?

My son thought that the woman in "Run, Lola, Run" was pretty good as a runner.

Comment

Working...
                              X