Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis the Menace(Emily on deck)

Your favorite time of the year tafnut. Supposed to be a big one before hitting anywhere from Louisiana to Florida Saturday. Why you guys live down there is beyond me.

Oh, yeah, that January and February thing. Nevermind .

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT ... VIS/20.jpg

(image updates every 1/2 hour)
    There are no strings on me

Re: Dennis the Menace

My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.

Comment

I've lived in both Florida, Alabama and California, among other places. I'll take earthquake risk over hurricane or tornado risk any day. Yes, there's no warning, but there's less damage if you're moderately well prepared.

Comment

Thankfully passing between us and Cuba at present. Lots of rain though. Thank God for the Blue Mountains. People in Ocho Rios are probably getting a lot more wind right now. After Ivan we couldn't take another direct hit. Dennis is now at Category 3 and expected to strengthen further. tafnut it probably is headed your way as it seems to be heading more northerly than before.
        why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I'm 5 miles off the beach and that makes a big difference. Last year I just went powerless for 36 hours. Losing one's home is a whole different matter.

Comment

If it had decided to pass just south of the island I wouldn't have power now that is for sure. Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour at present, probably closer to 250m from the beach. This thing might be quite bad by the time the eye makes landfall in Cuba. I have friends studying there.

Comment

>>Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour

Oh REALLY?!!

Well then, we can adjust course on this thread back to track & field by asking what Powell's time would be right now if he went out to National Stadium and sprinted a 100 with the wind to his back? 9.33?

Comment

>My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer
                >they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.

And a big payback????????

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/04/fema.p ... index.html

Comment

>My parents-in-law just evacuated AGAIN. If 100+ winds hit the FEMA trailer
                  >they're STILL living in, it's gone too. This is not right.

Pat, I saw your email addr on another thread and thought about inquiring how your inlaws were getting along with reconstruction, insurance haggling, etc. Got right on it. Hope this isn't as bad. My sister is out here (her school is over, Oregon seemed like a good idea). I suppose she has another mess to deal with. My mom stayed in Pensacola, so I guess she is just hunkering down.

Comment

>I've lived in both Florida, Alabama and California, among other places. I'll
                    >take earthquake risk over hurricane or tornado risk any day. Yes, there's no
                    >warning, but there's less damage if you're moderately well prepared.

I agree with that assessment. I've lived in FL and Tx as well as CA, and I would rank my Fear of Natural disasters in the following Order:

1) Tornados
                    2) Hurricane
                    3) Earthquake

Working backwards, my reasons for this order are as follows:

1) with an Eartquake, sure, there is no warning, but as stated before, if you are prepared, the damage can be minimal, AND, Earthquakes hit all the time with no damage. Only REAL LARGE earthquakes are generally guaranteed to destory something, and they tend to be fairly rare.

2) Sure, with a hurricane, you know its coming days in advance, but once it gets there, what are you going to do? Given that the winds have to be at a certain speed before a storm becomes a hurricane you know the power is definetly there. Sure, Real strong structures can handle hurricane force winds, but odds are SOMETHING is coming down.

3) What a Tornado touches, it destorys. Period. Slow moving? Yes. But they can be almost as spontaneous as earthquakes dropping out of the sky on a moments notice. The idea of being implated by straw doesn't sit well with me either.

Comment

>>>Less the 500m from Kingston Harbour

Oh REALLY?!!

Well then, we can
                      >adjust course on this thread back to track & field by asking what Powell's time
                      >would be right now if he went out to National Stadium and sprinted a 100 with
                      >the wind to his back? 9.33?

Probably 8point something. We probably are getting gale force winds circa 15-20 metre per second winds. Powell has been in Rome for the last week or so preparing for tomorrow. Hopefully both himself and Gatlin will be fit.

Comment

Just moved to Ft. Myers. Going to a motel next two days further inland. Too much of a novice to stay put. And it's the earliest on RECORD! Sure looking forward to the rest of the summer!

Comment

>>Pat, I>saw your email addr on another thread and thought about inquiring how your>inlaws were getting along with reconstruction, insurance haggling, etc.<<

State Farm STILL has not settled. Several dozen families are bringing a class-action suit. One family in a $500,000 house, that was completely destroyed, was offered $3500 (three thousand, five hundred) as a settlement. Unbelieveable.

Comment

>>>$3500 (three thousand, five hundred) as a settlement.
                            >Unbelieveable.

But that is US bucks!!! I'd take it!

Comment

There has to be more to that story. That settlement offer is ridiculous.
                              There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                              X