Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball, Softball Get Screwed!

No surprises, but it's official: Gone after 2008.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... pped_x.htm

Bring on Rugby and Golf!
    There are no strings on me

Re: Baseball, Softball Officially Toast

Synchronized somersault long jumping!

Comment

my humble opinion is that any sport where winning the olympics isnt considered the ultimate achievement should go...
      for example:

Track IN
      Amateur Boxing IN
      weightlifting IN
      wrestling IN

Tennis OUT
      football OUT
      Road cycling OUT

you get my drift

Comment

Now, if they would just deep-six beach volleyball.

Comment

They have a lot of work to do in the winter OGs, too. Get rid of the half pipe, moguls, and upside down jumping events. Those are better in the X Games.

Glad to see baseball and softball go. Used to drive me crazy when announcers would say, "She's the best pitcher in the world..." When only three nations play softball, that doesn't mean much.

Poster above who said that sports that don't have OGs as highest ambition should go. That's not a bad observation and I pretty much agree, but there are exceptions. Basketball is a great sport for the OGs. Really is the truest world championship in which all nations complete. Agree that soccer does not fit in the OGs. Rugby and golf don't either, however. I think golf used to be in the OGs.

Comment

Poster above who said
            >that sports that don't have OGs as highest ambition should go. That's not a
            >bad observation and I pretty much agree, but there are exceptions. Basketball
            >is a great sport for the OGs. Really is the truest world championship in which
            >all nations complete.

basketball is ok because to most athletes outside of the USA it is the pinnacle..... although that is slowly changing as more and more international players join the NBA

Comment

>that is slowly changing as more and more international players join the NBA

One might argue that Olympic basketball is a different game to the NBA. It seems to reward different tactics and skills.

Comment

>my humble opinion is that any sport where winning the olympics isnt considered
                >the ultimate achievement should go...
                for example:

Track IN
                "Amateur Boxing
                >IN
                weightlifting IN
                wrestling IN

Tennis OUT
                football OUT
                Road cycling
                >OUT

you get my drift"

Soccer OUT???
                Golf NOT IN???

Comment

Cuba blames MLB

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/artic ... 1009990010

Comment

<<"my humble opinion is that any sport where winning the olympics isnt considered the ultimate achievement should go...">>

I like your criteria for evaluating which sports should stay and which should go (man, would I like to see tennis go).

The problem is that for some countries the Olympics is considered the ultimate achievement on a country-level basis. So in baseball it is for Latin American countries but not so for the U.S. -- as the link above helps to reference (though I too am glad to see it go.) Dito for basketball -- having a Czech player, for example, win an NBA Championship ring is great but not as great as the country winning an Olympic medal.

Comment

My "axe" list inclues:
                      Rythmic Gymnastics (ribbon tossing)
                      Synchronized Swimming
                      Beach Volleyball
                      Equestrian Stuff (I hate seeing a stupid horse's name up there in granite next to Jesse Owens). And I equally hate a rider getting credit for what the horse did. Sorry Mr. Ed, you deserve more credit. Maybe start an Animal Olympics. This is the Human Olympics.

And I would collapse the gymnastics down to less contests. No need to have individual events AND all around AND team score. They're doing the same thing over and over and it's just to jack up TV ratings.

Say, did mountain biking ever get in the Olympics? If it did, I think I'd toss that too.

Bowling might be an interesting sport to add, but make them all use the same ball, provided by the Games Committee. Fingers don't fit? Okay, everybody can have an official ball drilled to personal specs on Day #1, but the Games Committee keeps it under lock and key (no fooling around drilling plugs in it to put in wacky hooks).

Winter Olympics:
                      That snowboarding HAS to go.
                      Speedskating, Ski Jumping, Downhill, Slalom, XC Skiing, bobsled & luge- those are all legit and can stay.
                      Figure Skating is on thin ice with me. I'd axe ice dancing in a second though.
                      Curling? I don't know. I watch it every four years but don't understand it. The broom sweeping makes it look pretty amateurish. It needs improving, but the basic provision (land it in a circle and you can bump your opponent out of the way) is pretty good.
                      If I could ADD anything to the winter games, maybe it would be something like barrel jumping. The winner gets to turn the spigot on the barrel and hold it up and take a victory drink.

Comment

>Now, if they would just deep-six beach volleyball.

You mean Baywatch with a medal ceremony?

Comment

<<"Bring on Rugby and Golf!">>

Rugby AND golf used to be Olympic sports.

How about bandy, korfball or wushu?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/spo ... orts.shtml

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's suggested frisbee golf.

Comment

No one is keeping tennis players out, so it is not a good reason to keep it out just because it is not (yet) a grand slam event.

Softball should be out because it is not yet a world sport.

Bicycling would be served by an individual time trial and a team time trial.

I couldn't agree more with all the repetition in gymnastics. It's a farce to keep repeating the same event again and again. Imagine doing something similar in track. Team decathlon or team field events?

If bowling is world-wide, it certainly should be included. There are millions in the United States. Certainly the best bowlers are chosen from a larger pool than the best archers. Both required nerves of steel.

Comment

Working...
                              X