Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Story On Obscure Guy Who Helped Integrate Baseball

(fact that was a raging Commie had a bit to do with it)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 01&sc=1000

Re: Good Story On Obscure Guy Who Helped Integrate Baseball

I read this excellent article in the paper this morning. Trivia question for those who have not read the article yet: what is the claim to fame (according to this article) of baseball player William Ellsworth "Dummy" Hoy??

Comment

First (only?) deaf MLB player? Got an old bb card of him.

Comment

>First (only?) deaf MLB player?

That's too obvious, everybody knows that. Must be more to the question .
        Besides, Curtis Pride is deaf.

Comment

>I read this excellent article in the paper this morning. Trivia question for
          >those who have not read the article yet: what is the claim to fame (according
          >to this article) of baseball player William Ellsworth "Dummy" Hoy??

I think it was because of "Dummy" Hoy that umpires began using the now-familiar hand signals to signal ball, strike, safe, out.

Comment

> I think it was because of "Dummy" Hoy that umpires began using the
            > now-familiar hand signals to signal ball, strike, safe, out.

Correct you are. If you knew that without reading the article you are either a serious baseball scholar, or a person well versed in the history of milestones surrounding deaf folks.

Comment

Also, did you know that we adopted the huddle that you see in football from deaf players? Obviously, if two deaf teams are playing each other they can't communicate in the open via sign language and expect the other team to not know what they're saying. They huddled to hide their plays from the other team.

Little known fact that I learned while getting training as a sign-language interpreter.
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
              X