Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Horse Racing - a Joke?

>>100 meters lasts roughly 10 seconds. But it is still sport.

Agreed. Especially since the athletes (human!) are running the distance themselves.

At the end of the day, we all may define sport in different ways and that is our prerogative. I mean your chosen interest no disrespect, but I certainly do define it differently than yourself. I may take mine to the extreme a bit... I don't really look at Golf or Baseball as sports, but rather as "Games". I know this will offend a great many, though it is not my intent.

Just a different way to define activities that require (in my opinion) varying amounts of suffering, will, perserverence, etc. My reverence and passion happen to be for those pursuits requiring a great amount of the aforementioned, and I certainly do choose different terminologies to define those pursuits as opposed to golf, auto racing, tennis, etc.

I guess at the end of the day if our definitions 'step on each others toes' then, aside from a couple of posts here on good ol' TFN, I'm not too worked up about it. (And for what it is worth, I will admit to not having much knowledge about horse racing, so am simply going by perception. Full disclosure and all, you know.)

Cheers, good will and good wishes.

Comment

nascar????????????? hahahhahah.

Comment

In most individual sports, it's not an individual race, but a season. There are just too many variables involved. Downhill skiing is a good example. Of course, sometimes an individual is just on and can't lose, but I believe that most downhillers are much more accepting of medalling or placing in the top 5 or 10 than are the onlookers, especially U.S. ones.

It is not the viewers fault, really. Broadcasters aren't allowed the time to learn about the sport and the idiots above them don't want them to spend time explaining what's really going on.

In team sports, it's even more difficult. Without taking anything away from the great quarterbacks, it's no accident that they always praise their offensive line -- and they had better!

Like most Americans of a certain age, I know little about soccer, but my impression is that the ability of the midfield players, who seldom score are the key players.

Comment

Working...
        X