Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampras v Federer

at their peak ( ok, sampras '99 v federer anytime past 3y )

who wins over 5 grass/cement/indoor sets ?

Re: Sampras v Federer

Sampras on grass, Federer on anything else. Perhaps Laver beats them both on any surface. And going back to the 50s, Jack Kramer said if he had to have one man play one match to represent the Planet Earth, he would pick Lew Hoad.

Comment

Agassi now clearly feels that Federer is superior to Sampras.

Comment

Agassi ought to know best, although Agassi was younger and quicker when he played Sampras so his perspective may be a bit skewed. I'd give the nod to Federer by virtue of superior fitness.

Comment

big bill

i respect you the most of anyone ( i'm just jealous that us mere 'fizzicians' have to cede the

big bucks/kudos/dick

to you

'"jock" sawbones' )

anyhows, back to topic - blake slaugtered agassi for 2 sets +, in the style pistol wouda done ( i egest thinkin how good he wouda been in '99 in the open, trying to claim the innuagural arthur, stadium trophy ! ) - just that pete was EVEN more athletic & had an INFINITELY better serve

agassi ( with no back problem ) couda won '05 ( set all & break-up in the 3rd ) which suggests to me, that, pistol of '99 defies belief !!!

Comment

Ahhh, yes, and George Mikan would have been a match for Jordan or Shaq... NOT!

Federer is a new kind of animal.. and if Andre says he's the best he's ever seen, then I believe him.

Cheers.

Comment

<agassi ( with no back problem ) couda won '05

Dream on.

Comment

Courier, Chang, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Kraijek - all played in the Sampras era and were grand slam champions. Right now Federer has no competition (on surfaces other than clay),nobody stands out. Federer is the Larry Holmes of tennis. Holmes dominated after Ali; let's wait and see if Federer is as good as Holmes was.

Comment

>at their peak ( ok, sampras '99 v federer anytime past 3y )

Agree Sampras' peak was '99, but we're probably 5 years from Federer's peak. I suspect by then that there'll only be one possible answer.

Comment

>Courier, Chang, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Kraijek - all played in the Sampras era and
                    >were grand slam champions. Right now Federer has no competition (on surfaces
                    >other than clay),nobody stands out.

On a good day, Marit Safin can beat anybody, Federer included. Safin's talent and Federer's psyche would be unstoppable!

Comment

I thoght Pat Rafter brought Pete down to earth a bit in '98.

Federer on a good day beats Safin on a good day. But what about Ivanisevic with Federer's psyche ? Unbelievable!!!!

Comment

Federer will beat all of them.

His versatility is unparalleled. He does not have any big weaknesses. The Sampras backhand sucks. That was his weakness on clay. Federer will win Roland Garros one day. His angled crosscourt is just too good.

Federer has to face players like Safin, Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick, Ferrero, Nadal etc, all previous Slam winners. Its not like he has an easy ride.

Comment

>I thought Pat Rafter brought Pete down to earth a bit in '98.<

from memory, i recall that pistol was leading that epic match ( set-all & ? break-up), but got ?back /?quad/?hamstring sprain which slowed him down & he lost thereafter

upto that point, he was beating rafter, who was the best "pure" serve-volleyer out there ( pete's serve was so good that he didn't even need to volley that much ! )

Comment

may i add that federer is not currently playing against any top draw serve-volleyers

there is no pistol/edberg/goran/rafter/stich out there for him

remember, unil a coupla years ago, he had an abysmal record against henman ( just below top-echelon serve-volleyer ), who just crowded the net & put away any returns - it was amazing to see the look of frustration on fed's face during those matches

i'm not sure he has the return to beat guyz like the above when they were on fire

Comment

>I thoght Pat Rafter brought Pete down to earth a bit in '98.

Federer on a
                              >good day beats Safin on a good day.

Both had "good days" (as opposed to their best game days) in Melbourne this year, Safin won. Trouble is that Safin's absolute best is almost an unknown quantity, it's so rarely seen. But it demolished Sampras at Flushing Meadow (2000?) - that was special. A fully fit, non-partying, motivated, demon-free Safin... never gonna happen?!

Comment

Working...
                              X