Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone paying attention to the AL race?

Could be two one game play-offs. I assume that has never happened?

Re: Anyone paying attention to the AL race?

Don't know! Intriguing!

Lifelong Yankees fan now living in Boston environs -- life constantly in danger -- my mother doesn't remember much, but she does remember seeing Babe Ruth hit a home run at Yankee Stadium (she grew up in The Bronx.)

Comment

As a Bay Area guy, I love this symmetry:

Both the Giants (who suck this year) and A’s enter tonight’s game four games out of first in their respective divisions.

Both have seven games left.

Both play the first four games against the teams they are four games behind (Padres – who also suck, but not quite as much as the Giants - and Angels, respectively), so in theory both have a chance.

Both are behind as I write 2-0 in the bottom of the third.

(Note: even though I was born and live in Oakland, I am really a Giants fan, not an A’s fan. The Giants moved here the year I was born and I grew up with them. The A’s got here 10 years later and I have never warmed up to them.)

Comment

>As a Bay Area guy, I love this symmetry:

I loved going to watch the A's when I was in the Bay Area. Especially the dollar wednesdays. One dollar dogs and one dollar ticket!

I went to a few of their play off games and especially remember the giambi slide NOT into home. Although, to be fair, it has to be said it was more Jeters amazing play than the lack of slide. Still can't believe how those recent teams have collapsed every time in the first round.

Comment

I think I'll have to fly to Boston this week instead of waiting for the ACLS - if there's the slightest chance of seeing the Yankees fail to reach the postseason, I need to be there... Saw the ALCS game 5 last year, and promptly started smoking again after a three year break. GO SOX!

Comment

i grew up going to candlestick to see mays and mccovey. now we have the best ballpark in baseball. go giants!!
            phsstt!

Comment

Watch out for my Cleveland Indians

The best kept secret in the majors right now!

Comment

Sorry, no AL for me -- Braves fan.

Comment

>Sorry, no AL for me -- Braves fan.

Jeff Francouer has got the best arm I've seen since Vlad. Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/bczpk - click on "Francouer throws out Diaz".
                  How many titles in a row will this be now? 14? But only one WS. Underachieving?

Comment

>Watch out for my Cleveland Indians

The best kept secret in the majors
                    >right now!

well, the secret has been out since they have been playing 750 ball for the past couple of months. im afraid that the two game lead the best team in the league maintains on them in the central will prove too much to overcome at this point.

will be interesting last 3 games of year, and possibly good league championship series with the wildcard winners cleveland vs the dominant White Sox

Comment

<Could be two one game play-offs. I assume that has never happened?>

In the strike shortened season (I think '81) there was a Yankees-Brewers one game play-off.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

As long as the Yankees lose, I'm happy. They are the personification of the evil in baseball's current structure.

Comment

And yet many of us love them.

Is Derek Jeter the personification of evil? Bernie Williams? Mariano Rivera? I don't know the answer to this, but how does the percentage of "home grown" (drafted by and came up through the big-league team's farm system) STARTERS on the Yankees compare to other teams? The rap on the Yankees is that they just buy their excellence, but I've just listed three key players -- future Cooperstown honorees -- whose entire careers have been in pinstripes.

You want to see the personification of evil? Exhibit A would be the Yankees' middle relievers!

Comment

>As long as the Yankees lose, I'm happy. They are the personification of the
                            >evil in baseball's current structure.

Zat, being a Royals fan can even make you a fan of market regulation!

Comment

>And yet many of us love them.

Is Derek Jeter the personification of evil?
                              >Bernie Williams? Mariano Rivera? I don't know the answer to this, but how
                              >does the percentage of "home grown" (drafted by and came up through the
                              >big-league team's farm system) STARTERS on the Yankees compare to other teams?
                              >The rap on the Yankees is that they just buy their excellence, but I've just
                              >t listed three key players -- future Cooperstown honorees -- whose entire
                              >careers have been in pinstripes.

You want to see the personification of
                              >evil? Exhibit A would be the Yankees' middle relievers!

The personification of evil is undoubtedly A-Rod, aka Slappy. Overpaid, intensely annoying and a cheat (also very talented - even more reason for fear and loathing). I love hating the Yankees, but the three you mentioned are great players and seem to be good guys. Fenway on Friday - anyone know a friendly neighbourhood scalper?

Comment

Working...
                              X