Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone paying attention to the AL race?

A-Rod a cheat? You mean for the "slapping" incident against the Sox in last year's play-offs? Aw, c'mon!

Comment

>A-Rod a cheat? You mean for the "slapping" incident against the Sox in last
      >year's play-offs? Aw, c'mon!

Yup. Deliberate interference etc. As he said himself, should've run Arroyo over. Got a ticket spare for Friday? :-)

Comment

I turned down two tickets for Sunday in favor of the Patriots game, and then those tickets fell through... oh, well, it's my long-run day anyway.

Comment

>> A-Rod a cheat? You mean for the "slapping" incident against the Sox in
          >> last year's play-offs? Aw, c'mon!

> Yup. Deliberate interference etc.

BFD. He got called on it. He ain't the first player to try to get one over on the other team and the umps. Move on . . .

Comment

Bad Hammy, right on!

Comment

> Bad Hammy, right on!

And I dislike the Yanks as much as anyone who is not from Boston. Harping on that play, though, is just pointless whining.

Comment

>> Bad Hammy, right on!

And I dislike the Yanks as much as anyone who is not
                >from Boston. Harping on that play, though, is just pointless whining.

I'd be harping on about it a lot more if it hadn't been spotted and it had affected the result. Pointless whining it isn't. My Yankee supporting friends tell me that their immediate reaction was embarrassment, and I can understand that. And I am moving on, literally - 4500 miles for two days and one game (and no ticket) is , I hope, ample proof :-)

Comment

>>Zat, being a Royals fan can even
                  >make you a fan of market regulation!

Touche.

All they gotta do is look at the NFL.

Comment

> Both the Giants (who suck this year) and A’s enter tonight’s
                    > game four games out of first in their respective divisions.

And both came up way short, although the Giants lasted one day longer than the A’s. The Padres, at 79-79, have four more games to work on becoming the first team in MLB history to win a division with a losing record (currently the worst winning record is the ’73 Mets at 82-79).

Comment

> Could be two one game play-offs. I assume that has never happened?

OK, now this question makes more sense to me (I can be a bit thick at times).

With Boston and NY now tied, if Boston and New York split the last two games and Cleveland beats Chicago twice, there would be a one-game playoff Monday at Yankee Stadium for the AL East title, with the loser playing the Indians on Tuesday for the wild-card berth.

I do not recall this kind of scenario ever happening before.

Comment

1978! Bucky ******* Dent

Comment

There have been several tie playoff games, the last I remember was involving the Cubs the year that Macguire and Sosa busted Maris' record.

Here's baseball trivia for you... what was the first year they ever had a playoff for AL title ? NL title ? What was different about the two ?

Comment

>There have been several tie playoff games, the last I remember was involving
                            >the Cubs the year that Macguire and Sosa busted Maris' record.

That wasn't the question.

Comment

>>There have been several tie playoff games, the last I remember was
                              >involving
                              >the Cubs the year that Macguire and Sosa busted Maris'
                              >record.

That wasn't the question.

I knew that.... to clarify, to my knowledge there has never been a 3 way playoff, but there of course have now been numerous 2 way playoffs, particularly since from 1969 on, there are more groupings that might call for them. And even more still since the expansion to 3 divisions in each league,plus the WC's. . I was just asking about the first time they ever happened, in either league.

Comment

>There have been several tie playoff games, the last I remember was involving
                                >the Cubs the year that Macguire and Sosa busted Maris' record.

Here's
                                >baseball trivia for you... what was the first year they ever had a playoff for
                                >AL title ? NL title ? What was different about the two ?

AL 1948, one game playoff Cleveland defeated Boston. NL 1951, three game playoff, NY defeated Brooklyn

Comment

Working...
                                X