Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do we think of the NBA dress code?

"Indiana guard Stephen Jackson contended yesterday that the jewelry ban is racist and aimed at young black men. Former Knick Marcus Camby, now of the Denver Nuggets, says he objects to the dress code "unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes" - which instantly became the dumbest thing any NBA player has said since his pal, Latrell Sprewell, griped "I've got to feed my family" to explain his anger when Minnesota didn't offer him a new contract worth more than $10 million a year."

Once again proving that brains aren't a prerequisite to playing professional sports.

Re: What do we think of the NBA dress code?

Originally posted by MJD
    "Indiana guard Stephen Jackson contended yesterday that the jewelry ban is racist and aimed at young black men.
    This may be the most ridiculous thing I can post here, but I sorta agree. The 'culture' that many of these players come from is so foreign to The Suits that there is no way they can agree on what is 'appropriate' NBA wear. If they look neat, trimmed, and within the bounds of the surrounding culture, what they wear is their business, NOT the league's. Talk about making an issue of a non-issue! Even as an educator, I am constantly astounded by people in authority who come up with arbitrary rules (aka what THEY think is 'right') without once trying to see things from the perspective of those they have authority over. My school has some of the the most bizarrely unfair dress codes rules, mostly because we have a double standard towards the females.

It's hard to commiserate with players making zillions of $$$ whining about petty little stuff, but we have to remember that the MEN running this zoo are just as privileged and just as intellectually-challenged as many of the players. Compare this to the NHL's problems, and the strikes MLB and the NFL have had, and you see there's LOTS of blame to spread around. It is NOT just the players - management is guilty of arbitrary hubris.

Comment

Out of proportion

Before we head down the inevitible path of throwing racism charges at Stern, let's take a look at what is actually being proposed here:

Stern/The NBA is requiring that athletes dress business casual (including "dress" jeans) when they are in public representing the team and must wear a jacket when on the bench during injury. That's it. No one is asking that rap albums not be made, that appearances at Vibe parties be stopped, or that the players throw away chains or take their hair out of cornrows. If any of the offensive things I just listed were stipulated, then by all means, throw your accusations directly at Stern.

Until such statements are made, however, let's take a deep breath and realize that essentially here the CEO of a corporation that pays its employees an exorbitant amount of money to do a fairly enjoyable job is asking that his employees wear a pair of khakis and a button-down shirt (or turtleneck!) when REPRESENTING THE COMPANY IN PUBLIC.

Racism, my ass.

Comment

Re: Out of proportion

Originally posted by KevinM
        or that the players throw away chains
        oh, I thought that WAS what he was asking them to do - I know I simply cannot EXIST without my bling clanking on my chest with my shirt unbuttoned to the navel!

Comment

He's asking players to not wear the chains on the outside of their clothing when representing the team. Why is that distinction so hard for the critics to understand and accept? What the players do and wear on their (considerable) free time is still their business, as it should be.

Comment

the suits might have a point as far as what the players wear on the court but arriving at the stadium is another thing. they are adults who should be able to wear a clown outfit if they want to. once they are in front of the tv and crowds thats another thing.
            phsstt!

Comment

when representing the team
              Then just do what everyone else does - have them wear the team warm-up if they're on the bench!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                when representing the team
                Then just do what everyone else does - have them wear the team warm-up if they're on the bench!
                That would be fine as well. Still hard to see how you can level racial accusations here.

Comment

Still hard to see how you can level racial accusations here.

You're right - it's not really race - it's about sub-cultures - The Suits vs. the Players. The Suits want the players to look 'presentable' by THEIR standards, not the players' standards. So basically they are saying the players don't have enough sense to dress 'properly'. What the suits don't get is that the players ARE dressing properly for THEIR sub-culture. I don't like or get THAT look either, but that doesn't mean I need to pass judgement on their tastes. IF (!) there was ANY fans that complained, it was not anyone who identified with the players' sub-culture (i.e., the people who dress like that) which is, of course, a key sub-set of ALL the NBA fans. I don't like tattoos or piercings either, but that's MY problem, not the problem of the people who sport them. Go to any college campus and you'll see that both are the Norm. I guess I just have a problem with one group of people telling another (adult!) group how to present themselves. On the other hand, the NBA is OWNED by The Suits and the players had better understand that little subtlety.

Comment

or that the players throw away chains
                    oh, I thought that WAS what he was asking them to do - I know I simply cannot EXIST without my bling clanking on my chest with my shirt unbuttoned to the navel!
                    Thanks for that.

Back to therapy. :roll: :twisted:

I think the company (NBA) has the right to set a dress code for its employees while on the job (ie. representing the NBA).
                    But I gave up on pro basketball a long time ago. The last time I was a fan was in the 70's whne I loved the Seattle Supersonics.

Taf- what aspect of your school's dress code do you find unfair to the girls?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                      Just the opposite - they get away with murder and the boys are on the short leash.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                        Just the opposite - they get away with murder and the boys are on the short leash.
                        Oh. I believe it is the same here.

I really have to bite my tongue when I see some of the skimpy outfits grils wear.

Comment

Scott Ostler's take

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            so I infer he has a problem with the NBA Dress Code also - heaven forbid that someone should agree with me on this!

Comment

First, these players arent payed by the NBA, their teams pay them, but as the teams are governed by the NBA and apparently they agreed to this, they should comply.

The policy does go to far. What should be in place, perhaps, is teams setting their own less strict dress codes.

What is next? Baseball pitchers being requried to shave their wild facial hair...

but yeah, pay me the league minimum of 400k(in the ballpark of a certain CEO i have heard of) and ill go to work in whatever you ask me to

Comment

Working...
                              X