• Show
Clear All

• Is this a good reason to skip school?

Everyone here is missing the point.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

But Sierra does not see it that way. She says she jumped up and down after bringing down the bear, which she plans to turn into a rug.
    Could have gone to school and then purchased a rug from K-Mart instead.

Comment

It's outrageous that they allow women on the hunt :shock: Or am I missing the point here :?:

Comment

Sierra's achievement was not universally celebrated. Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, called allowing an 8-year-old to hunt "terrible cruelty."
        ditto

Comment

There are places in the US where the schools are closed on the first day of the hunting season.

Comment

i realize people like to hunt. i dont get it, but i do enjoy fishing and i eat meat. so at the risk of a hypocrite label here goes. :cry:

couldnt the 8 year old girl wait for the weekend to gun down a little innocent bear? :roll:
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              couldnt the 8 year old girl wait for the weekend to gun down a little innocent beer? :roll:
              No! 8 year-olds are not allowed alcohol. :lol:

Comment

Kids should be allowed miss school for a relative's funeral, but not a bear's.

Comment

maybe she should learn to read before she learns to kill.

>No! 8 year-olds are not allowed alcohol. <

damn that freudian slip ops: but most 8 years do feel a couple of shots help with the shooting :wink:

most eight year old girls are busy hugging their teddy bears not pumping them full of lead :!: :twisted:
                  phsstt!

Comment

I get killing animals for food and skins, etc. What I do NOT get is the Sport part. Nor the 'thrill of the kill'. Nor the 'enjoyment' of inflicting pain on a living creature. But that's just me. I'm in the vast minority where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      I get killing animals for food and skins, etc. What I do NOT get is the Sport part. Nor the 'thrill of the kill'. Nor the 'enjoyment' of inflicting pain on a living creature. But that's just me. I'm in the vast minority where I live.
                      couldnt agree more. hunting is apparently a very natural part of human history and if i was trying to survive in the wilderness i would hunt without hesitation. but to see a beautiful creature so alive in its natural habitat and really enjoying shooting it is something completely beyond me. the people who do love the hunt are not sick or depraved at all. its just a differant point of view that i cant fathom because i wasnt brought up "enjoying the KILL"
                      phsstt!

Comment

To Hunt, or not to hunt...

I have been on hunting trips. Boo hiss. I just moved from the forest into the city three weeks ago - just in time for Hunting Season out back yonder. Most folks deer hunt with rifles, while other hunters use a bow-and-arrow.

I personally have not hunted (meaning have not been the one on the chase and standing there with the murder weapon) since I was 10 years old (rabbit hunting). My personal opinion is that hunters are out for the kill - and the feed. There is a lot of pleasure in taking out a deer, but it is more in the pride of being able to hit a target rather than in the kill itself. The kill was necessary; the target was what made the hunt exceptional.

The deer is eaten - nothing left to waste. It doesn:t struggle with dying... if it is still alive when the hunters arrive on scene, it very quickly is put down. Seems better than if it had been eaten alive by a wolf (which scarcely prowl the forest just outside of Stenungsund any longer).

As far as this 8-year-old: I understand and agree that she should have been in school instead of standing there holding a rifle. If she becomes a national and international marksperson in the future and can attribute it to the days she went out huntin as a kid, will that make a difference now in how each of us feels on the topic?

Comment

thanx for giving the other side :!:
                          phsstt!

Comment

I do get what you're saying EPelle, and like the squackman, I would not put down a hunter - that's a personal choice by him or her, but this line:

"There is a lot of pleasure in taking out a deer, but it is more in the pride of being able to hit a target rather than in the kill itself."

concerns me. I was on a Navy Pistol team for 3 years and loved the competition and the 'thrill' of a bullseye, but why does an animal have to die just to give a peron this 'pleasure'? Isn't skeet the same thing, but the only animals who have to die are clay pigeons?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                              ... why does an animal have to die just to give a peron this 'pleasure'? Isn't skeet the same thing, but the only animals who have to die are clay pigeons?
                              Good question, Tafnut.

This is how I see it: The hunters in my part of the woods were out for food. Deer roamed the open space in Bohuslän, and were in abundance during a four-month stretch throughout the year. The jägare hunted for food, but took pride in being not just capturing his prey, but in how he went about hitting his mark (Was it a clean shot? Did the animal suffer?). S/he is out there in the snow. The look through their spy glasses. Food source acquired. Food source locked. Bullseye. Food on the table.

There are those out there who like the entire hunt-and-kill challenge. These people may be out there just to see if they can hit a moving target. They shoot and someone else gets the spoils, so-to-speak. I don:t agree with that type of hunting.

Hunting - if it is to be permissible - should be about feeding your family and feeding some animals that live off the extra remains not taken back home to the freezer. This young kid was going to make a rug out of her kill.

Comment

Working...
                              X