Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Write Proper

Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.

Always avoid alliteration.

It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

Contractions aren’t necessary and shouldn’t be used.

Avoid clichés like the plague – they’re old hat.

Use the apostrophe in it’s proper place, do’nt put it in the wrong place, and omit it where its not needed.

Don’t use two words where one is sufficient enough.

DON’T use too much emphasis at once.

If you’re writing web pages, never underline anything that’s not a link.

Long sentences without any punctuation are hard to read so break them up into shorter sentences and punctuate where appropriate so that everyone can read them and understand what they say.

Also, don’t write run-on sentences, break them up just the same.

As I’ve told you a million times, don’t exaggerate.

Eliminate quotations, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said: “I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.”

Don’t make generalisations – they’re bound to be false.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Watch out for the many irregular verbs that have creeped into our language.

That a clause can be the subject of another is wrong.

And finally, never begin or end a sentence with and.

Source here

You done good, EPelle!

I urge everyone to commit these rules to mammary, bekase you can never learn them too good.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      You done good, EPelle!

I urge everyone to commit these rules to mammary, bekase you can never learn them too good.
      I think there's a guy working for Berlitz in Japan who's done just that :lol:

Comment

The one we have hardest here is: Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

In Swedish, everyone and everything "has" the same verb, unlike English where you use different verb forms depending on the subject.

Literally, we state:

I (am) having/has
        You (am) having/has
        He, she, it (am) having/has
        They (am) having/has
        You (am) having/has
        We (am) having/has

Not an easy one for us from which to come away.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
          The one we have hardest here is: Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

In Swedish, everyone and everything "has" the same verb, unlike English where you use different verb forms depending on the subject.

Literally, we state:

I (am) having/has
          You (am) having/has
          He, she, it (am) having/has
          They (am) having/has
          You (am) having/has
          We (am) having/has

Not an easy one for us from which to come away.
          It's the Scandinavian prepositions that I struggle mightily with!

The last thing one needs to hear when learning a new language is "there's absolutely no logic to this system, you'll just have to memorise this. And the same with noun gender" :cry:

Comment

Which is the most difficult language to learn (for foreigners who have no relation similarity to the language in question)?

I would cast my vote for Chinese, followed by Finnish, and a close third-place finish for Hungarian.

Comment

Originally posted by Vern
              You done good, EPelle!

I think there's a guy working for Berlitz in Japan who's done just that :lol:
              That was my first thought, although I did not notice any misspellings in EPelle’s rules.

Comment

Literchip inn righting eggzamples phoned hear.

Jest fallo mi eggzamples ann jew woent hab a probalum ate awl.Hokey da speeling kneads sum imp roovein eye no butt hiam gatting bitter.
                Taffy is welping me berry berry mooch to speek Floor-ridee-uhm two!
                Tom Hyland:
                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Re: Literchip inn righting eggzamples phoned hear.

Originally posted by wineturtle
                  Taffy is welping me berry berry mooch to speek Floor-ridee-uhm two!
                  Yew betchum! Between this thread and the Educationalist's thread, I feel we must be in an End-of-Days scenario, where my job has become obsolete. This is similar to what it must have felt like in New Orleans just before the dikes collapsed - there wasn't anything to do but find high ground and await the inevitable. Tower of Babel, here we come!

Comment

Apparently good old Noah Webster (back in the 1810s/20s?) tried briefly to get Americans to spell words like they were pronounced [because = bekuz, or something like that). Mercifully, it didn't take...

Comment

Re: Literchip inn righting eggzamples phoned hear.

Yew betchum! Between this thread and the Educationalist's thread, I feel we must be in an End-of-Days scenario, where my job has become obsolete.
                      And the Juliet Cuthbert interview on the Merlene Ottey thread.

The Berlitz Flu is heading for pandemic status.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        Apparently good old Noah Webster (back in the 1810s/20s?) tried briefly to get Americans to spell words like they were pronounced [because = bekuz, or something like that). Mercifully, it didn't take...
                        Some of Webster's best include:
                        Groop
                        Croud
                        Tuf
                        Bilt
                        Wimmen

And I love this contemporary review of "Dissertations on the English Language" -

A fascinating farrago of the soundest linguistic common sense and the most egregious poppycock.

Sounds like our pal at Berlitz again :lol:

Comment

Been there, done that.

Comment

CLALING OHETR IOIDTS

i jsut raed a ltilte atclire taht siad ifn you lavee the frsit
                            lteter ipalnce and aslo palce the lsat ltteer in crercot pacle manenig
                            lsat, amsolt any iiodt can raed jsut as fsat as tehy can wtih pfrceelty
                            selelpd wrods. Are you an iodit asol?
                            -------------------------------------------------------
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            Spirialing down or is it circling the drain?
                            Tom Hyland:
                            "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

That's what my typing looks like before spellcheck gets a hold of it. Getting pretty good at the hunt and peck except for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X