Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re Sports Illustrated, I think I posted about this about a year ago. . After the 2016 Olympics, they had an article all about the exploits of USA women in Rio. The Track team was completely unmentioned ! That was it for me... I cancelled, and I have not missed SI one iota since then.
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 02-06-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Tribune Publishing, owner of major U.S. newspapers, to be acquired by hedge fund known for slashing newsroom jobs

(as in, the Chicago Tribune)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...8a2_story.html

Comment

They have been gutting the Chicago Tribune for about 10 years now.....not sure how more damage they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
          re Sports Illustrated, I think I posted about this about a year ago. . After the 2016 Olympics, they had an article all about the exploits of USA women in Rio. The Track team was completely unmentioned ! That was it for me... I cancelled, and I have not missed SI one iota since then.
          The sad thing is SI was publishing a daily edition in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics which had some excellent content. What a difference twenty years made.

Comment

Soon there will just be a few news-gatherers, like AP and Gannett, and they will provide the content for all the papers that survive. City desks will continue at a much diminished capacity.

Comment

New York Times and Washington Post are both doing well.

But on the local level it is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                New York Times and Washington Post are both doing well.

But on the local level it is not good.
                The Wall Street Journal is also doing well. But USA Today is a shell of what it used to be as the other national daily. It once had a really good sports section with good track & field coverage.

Comment

The print edition of the NY Times is MUCH smaller than it used to be,

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    The print edition of the NY Times is MUCH smaller than it used to be,
                    I had to look up something yesterday for a reporter asking me a question about the 1984 Olympics. I did not have the answer so used the LA Times. I looked at 2 editions - the Saturday edition was 335 pages, and the Sunday edition was about 785 pages. Took forever to find the sports pages.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I had to look up something yesterday for a reporter asking me a question about the 1984 Olympics. I did not have the answer so used the LA Times. I looked at 2 editions - the Saturday edition was 335 pages, and the Sunday edition was about 785 pages. Took forever to find the sports pages.
                      Can you translate those numbers in to rough newspaper "printed" pages.

Comment

Headline - The Baltimore Sun was spared a hedge-fund owner. Now it will try to survive as a nonprofit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...358_story.html (I assume this is behind the WashPost paywall.)

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Hopefully bambam will answer but if it's like the Louisville Courier Journal, when you search the archives, you see an image of the actual newspaper, so it may have been 785 real newspaper pages. The CJ had Sunday papers of maybe 250 pp, IIRC from some archive searches I've done from the early 1970s. And everything's bigger in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Soon there will just be a few news-gatherers, like AP and Gannett, and they will provide the content for all the papers that survive. City desks will continue at a much diminished capacity.
                            I don't understand why nobody has created a "Netflix for news" service where you can pay one reasonable monthly fee to access a variety of news sources. I'd be willing to pay $20/month for that, but I'm not going to pay $8-$25/month for each site to read no more than 5 or 10 articles per month at any particular site. Monthly subscriptions like that made sense when people got most or all of their written news from the same one or two daily newspapers, but those days are done.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

The NYTimes archives have the real printed papers....for Sunday January 27, 1980 it was 426 pages...normal for those days.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I don't understand why nobody has created a "Netflix for news" service where you can pay one reasonable monthly fee to access a variety of news sources. I'd be willing to pay $20/month for that, but I'm not going to pay $8-$25/month for each site to read no more than 5 or 10 articles per month at any particular site. Monthly subscriptions like that made sense when people got most or all of their written news from the same one or two daily newspapers, but those days are done.
                                Netflix for news is newspapers.com.

The majority of news sites are independently owned.
                                Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-18-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X