Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I don't understand why nobody has created a "Netflix for news" service where you can pay one reasonable monthly fee to access a variety of news sources. I'd be willing to pay $20/month for that, but I'm not going to pay $8-$25/month for each site to read no more than 5 or 10 articles per month at any particular site. Monthly subscriptions like that made sense when people got most or all of their written news from the same one or two daily newspapers, but those days are done.
    pressreader.com is my go-to, though it is a bit more at $30 a month. I can download a good selection of papers and magazines from around the world (there is a limit on monthly downloads, though I have never reached it).

here is their definition of excessive use -- "In connection with personal Subscriptions, including Trials and Sponsored Access, accessing or downloading (where available) more than 200 issues of a Publication or Publications per user in a given month, or posting or sharing more than 20 articles from Publications per user in a given month"

Comment

Here is one from 1985....835 printed pages!

Comment

The Denver Post on Monday or Tuesday felt like about 24 pages. Maybe 20.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
          The Denver Post on Monday or Tuesday felt like about 24 pages. Maybe 20.
          That's pretty lousy for a weekday....the Denver Post use to be a good newspaper.

Comment

Interesting. I remember scouring library newspapers for track and field results back in the mid to late 80's I don't ever remember one that was 300 or 400 pages long. But heck by this point I may have just forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Can you translate those numbers in to rough newspaper "printed" pages.
              I think it is 335 and 785 printed pages, because each image is a full-screen image of a single page

Comment

Interesting. I remember scouring library newspapers for track and field results back in the mid to late 80's I don't ever remember one that was 300 or 400 pages long. But heck by this point I may have just forgotten.
                Weekdays were much fewer pages..

Comment

Sunday, April 14, 1985 edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram was 375 pages

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

Sunday, April 14, 1985 edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram was 375 pages
                    Well I think that proves I have just forgotten. I subscribed to the Startlegram starting sometime in 1985 (but not by April).

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                      pressreader.com is my go-to, though it is a bit more at $30 a month. I can download a good selection of papers and magazines from around the world (there is a limit on monthly downloads, though I have never reached it).
                      Thanks, I'll give it a closer look later.

What I am interested in is accessing news articles via a URL (such as from a search engine or social media sharing) and then when I land on the page the paywall lets me in if I've subscribed to the "Netflix for news" service and if the particular news site is licensed by that service, like how Netflix lets you watch a variety of series and movies without paying for every individual show.

Pressreader.com seems to be more suited for downloading whole newspapers (or sections thereof) rather than accessing a web page for a specific article via URL.
                      Last edited by 18.99s; 02-18-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• If you have an ancestry.com account you get automatic access to newspapers.com, which is how I access the papers on that site.

Comment

• Denver Post 30 pages today. Monday lacked today’s little Life & Culture section, it was 20 pages thin.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            Denver Post 30 pages today. Monday lacked today’s little Life & Culture section, it was 20 pages thin.
                            The local paper here got ridiculously small and the price went to $88/mo, which convinced me to stop a 50-year unbroken skein of having a paper to read every day. I still have to pay $18/mo for the digital edition.

Comment

• Monday and Tuesday editions are especially tough for the dailies. I am a bit surprised that more of them have not combined Saturday/Sunday and Monday/Tuesday to do five editions a week.

Comment

• Well, I just cut the cord on the Denver Post, monthly just went up to $54 from about $46. Like others, it's pretty hard. I started reading the sports page and the funnies in 1970, age 8, and have without fail taken a home delivery, maybe even to our dorm room in college if I recall correctly. I'll look at the Colorado Springs Gazette digital cost, for local news. And we get the Sunday NYT. My wife said she saw a blurb online recently that even the NYT is starting to struggle.

Comment

Working...
                                X