X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    i guess were all lucky there isnt any x- couch potatoes polevaulting 2'6"

or is there?
    My point everytime this gets brought up. I'm sure the tables get all screwed up when we start talking about "performances" like 7 hours in the marathon but it converts to .48 meters in the PV. Less than 2 feet. I have to say that again. LESS THAN TWO FEET.

You can tell this is annoying to me because I had never bothered to learn the colour, size thing before.

Comment

A related comic in today's paper:

http://www.comics.com/comics/brevity/ar ... 51111.html

Comment

your so right. i dont know what i was thinking. 2'6''?? their plant phase is usually suspect and then it all goes down hill from there. 2'6"?? might as well be mt. everest to these folks. :roll:
        phsstt!

Comment

If the notion of completing a marathon, even in seven hours, gets people to exercise (in this case, to walk) that's fine, but they should play by the same rules as everyone else.

Comment

Sure, I am no more impressed with a 7 hour marathon than a 2' PV, but look at it this way, the 'runners' ARE out there persevering (such as it is) for FIVE hours. The 2' PVer is out there performing for 'seconds'. I appreciate the effort and the 'training' that went into that, much more than the PVer. By the tables, my 11' PV at age 54 may be worth 16' at 25 (I don't know what the real value is, but I guarantee it's worth a lot more than I could have actually done), which in turn may be a 2:40 marathon, but I sure as heck have a LOT more respect for the marathoner than ME!

Comment

im all for people walking for 26 miles. thats great. what im tired of is a question and a standard that i have heard over and over for 30 years.

when people find out im a runner they ask, "oh really, have you ever run the marathon?" when i tell them i "only" run 1/2 marathons you can see they dont take me that seriously. to try and explain that i ran 5:48 pace for a 1/2 at age 42 and that a 4 hour marathon isnt really of interest ot me, would be a waste of time.

if you wanna be a runner you must finish a marathon. time doesnt matter.
              and if you wanna find out if someone is a runner you ask them if the've ever run a marathon.
              phsstt!

Comment

Tafnut doesn't get it squack. If I ever get into one of those bizarre coversations, I will invariably bring up time which is usually a conversation stopper.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  Tafnut doesn't get it squack.
                  he also doesnt get cheese or beer!!!!! :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :x :cry: :x :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

p.s. doesnt change the fact that im very fond of "my nut" :wink:
                  phsstt!

Comment

It is amazing the number of scams going on now in the name of 'marathoning'. Unless it is some big dumb race with a name, no one wants to do it. If these fat old oafs can't do a seven hour marathon, and they still want to do it, why not go down to the local track, like LR keeps talking about, and do a marathon there? No one will give a toss how long they are out there. They can walk until the cows come home or whatever...

In Boulder, a similar lunacy is the Backroads Marathon. People pay an outrageous fee to run a course that they could do the next day for free.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                      Tafnut doesn't get it squack. If I ever get into one of those bizarre coversations, I will invariably bring up time which is usually a conversation stopper.
                      As you most certainly know, I most assuredly DO get 'it', but what you never want to admit is that marathoning or half-marathoning or even 10Ks are a different breed of animal from the rest of T&F, even the decathlon, which I HAVE done. Good distance running, which, whether you like it or not I include you and squack and any other sub-3 marathoner, 1:20 halfer, or 35 min 10Ker (sorry for my 'slacker' standards, but hear me out), requires a much greater dedication than just having talent and putting in a little work. I WAS a decent (no, that's immodest - I was a good) athlete and one year I trained 40 miles a week all winter for the River Run 15K and I am very proud of my 1:07, which is TERRIBLE by your standards, but I know I worked harder for that than ANY of my other athletic successes. SO, just because you and the squack had the talent and work ethic to think that what you ran ain't no big thang, does not obviate the fact that it's impressive as hell to most of the rest of us! HARRUUUMPHHHH! :!:

Comment

>just because you and the squack had the talent and work ethic to think that what you ran ain't no big thang, does not obviate the fact that it's impressive as hell to most of the rest of us! HARRUUUMPHHHH! <

by god i think he"s got it! very well said :shock:
                        phsstt!

Comment

Don't hurt your arm PATting yourself on the back squack. He has very low standards and is impressed too easily.

Comment

Working...
                          X