Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Magazine Payment Services" - a scam??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    To be fair to T&FN selling mailing lists is a pretty standard business practice. However, when the list is "sold" or liscensed, the buyer shouldn't actually get their hands on it; it should go to a bonded mailhouse and only be used once, plus the seller should authorise what is going to sent out.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by gh
      Somebody--we'll never know who--who was "reputable" turned out not to be so much and resold the list to these people.

      All SAVVY businesses that sell their mailing lists put a "red herring" address into the list, always a DIFFERENT name each time it's sold, and usually the address used with the fake name is one of the company's employees or a PO Box. That way it's child's play to figure out who sold it second hand - just check which "bogus" addressee received the second hand mailing.

      Guess you guys didn't do that.
      There are no strings on me

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by guru
        All SAVVY businesses that sell their mailing lists put a "red herring" address into the list, always a DIFFERENT name each time it's sold, and usually the address used with the fake name is one of the company's employees or a PO Box. That way it's child's play to figure out who sold it second hand - just check which "bogus" addressee received the second hand mailing.

        Guess you guys didn't do that.
        You mean just like TIME, Runner's World, Running Times, Coin World, Sports Illustrated, Fortune........

        http://www.nydailynews.com/business/sto ... 5683c.html

        These guys are very good at what they do, unfortunately. I assure you that we exercised all due diligence in attempting to maintain the sanctity of the lists. And rather than risk any further exposure, did the only 100% guaranteed thing to cure it, even if it meant revenue loss, which was to stop all (future) outside usage.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by guru
          You guys decided to sleep with dogs when you sold your mailing list, a reprehensible business move. YOU should deal with the fleas.
          Reprehensible? Gimme a break, dude. It's a mailing list, and it's standard practice across the board with publications.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by gh
            These guys are very good at what they do, unfortunately. I assure you that we exercised all due diligence in attempting to maintain the sanctity of the lists. And rather than risk any further exposure, did the only 100% guaranteed thing to cure it, even if it meant revenue loss, which was to stop all (future) outside usage.

            And I commend you for that. But the point is if you hadn't sold the lists in the first place, which I as a business owner would NEVER do, this would have never happened, "standard business practice" or not. Once you let them out in the public domain, without any "tracking" mechanism, don't be surprised if others sell them for revenue to a third party, legit or not.

            And Time, SI, Runners World, etc. use just about every third party subscription service on the planet to push their magazines so they also shouldn't be surprised when a rogue agent or two also has hold of their subscriber list.
            There are no strings on me

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by gm
              Originally posted by guru
              You guys decided to sleep with dogs when you sold your mailing list, a reprehensible business move. YOU should deal with the fleas.
              Reprehensible? Gimme a break, dude. It's a mailing list, and it's standard practice across the board with publications.

              My point, dude, is that I always am amazed at the fact a publication can sell their subscriber list for profit, then act like stunned victims when an unauthorized agent obtains that list and contacts their subscribers.
              There are no strings on me

              Comment

              Working...
              X