• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trackstar
    • Oct 2005
    • Austin, Texas

Dodgeball

Have any of you seen the movie "Dodgeball"? Pretty hilarious. As a fan of both volleyball and track & field, I think I need a subscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly." (You'll get that joke if you've seen it.)
    "Run fast and keep turning left."
  • fizbin
    • Oct 2005

Re: Dodgeball

Originally posted by trackstar
    Have any of you seen the movie "Dodgeball"? Pretty hilarious. As a fan of both volleyball and track & field, I think I need a subscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly." (You'll get that joke if you've seen it.)
    Just saw the movie this weekend. It was suprisingly funny. The Lance Armstong cameo was the most hilarios thing we've seen in a long time. Had to replay it (the cameo, not the movie) twice.

Comment

• gh
      Administrator
      • Oct 2005
      • west of Westeros

no, but I've seen the "South Park" dodgeball episode, which is pretty danged hilarious.

Comment

• tafnut
        • Oct 2005
        • Lost at C (-minus)

There are a few movies that I'm ashamed to admit I like.

Dodgeball - My wife and I were coughing up popcorn we were laughing so hard.

Bad Santa - the most foul, disgusting humor and I couldn't stop laughing.

Wedding Crashers - same as Dodgeball

on the other hand there was NOTHING funny in the Austin Powers or American Pie movies.

Finally sat through 'Sin City' and 'Pulp Fiction' on DVD - complete waste of time for both.

Comment

• SQUACKEE
          • Oct 2005
          • Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

dodgeball was a pleasant surprise.
          phsstt!

Comment

• trackstar
            • Oct 2005
            • Austin, Texas

I especially loved it because, in sixth grade, the game brought me my first moment of athletic glory. I was the stereotypical kid who always gets picked last (in fact, it probably happened on this particular day), and I ended up being the lone survivor of my team, matched up against two of our junior high's better jocks. I took them down, and was hero for a day.

Comment

• twittering debutante
              • Oct 2005

Haven't seen the movie yet (and probably won't) mainly because it would revive painful childhood memories.

We had a girl in sixth grade named Candy Gerken who was already six feet tall. With a full wind-up, Candy could just about throw a dodgeball through a brick wall. A few times being hit by her made one feel like a survivor of a serious automobile accident.

One day we were coming in from recess and someone dared Candy to see if she could throw a dodgeball through a double-pained glass door with the chicken wire in between.

Candy didn't throw the ball through the door, but she did shatter the glass on both sides. She was unbelievable!

Comment

• SQUACKEE
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by twittering debutante
                Haven't seen the movie yet (and probably won't) mainly because it would revive painful childhood memories.

We had a girl in sixth grade named Candy Gerken who was already six feet tall. With a full wind-up, Candy could just about throw a dodgeball through a brick wall. A few times being hit by her made one feel like a survivor of a serious automobile accident.

One day we were coming in from recess and someone dared Candy to see if she could throw a dodgeball through a double-pained glass door with the chicken wire in between.

Candy didn't throw the ball through the door, but she did shatter the glass on both sides. She was unbelievable!
                i believe you feared, but also found yourself strangely attacted to candy. who is this she-beast who makes me tremble? it must be candy. its always candy.
                phsstt!

Comment

• tafnut
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Lost at C (-minus)

Last year our school deep-sixed the annual 3-on-3 basketball tournament (64 teams!) for a Dodgeball tournament (64 5-man teams!!). I was actually picked by a team of soccer players (pity vote) and just to prove the adage 'There's no fool like an old fool' true, I was usually one of the first eliminatees for my team, but we advanced to the semi-finals ANYWAY. I then went form goat-to-hero, because our best player was bending down to get a ball and was about to get nailed, when I threw myself in front of him, taking a bullet for the team! Alas we didn't win.

Comment

• JRM
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Dodgeball

Originally posted by trackstar
                    I think I need a subscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly."
                    I thought we were posting on the obscuresportsquarterly.com message board...

Comment

• trackstar
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Austin, Texas

Hey, maybe we could get "The Ocho" to show the Golden League next year!

(again, a joke you'll get if you've actually seen the movie.)

Comment

• big mac
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Jupiter

I took part ina 32 team dodgeball tournament, took on 4 guys alone in the 1st game, turned it to 2 guys against one of their guys, got hit and then their guy caught the ball. We ended up 3rd out of 32 teams, must have been my lucky kilt I wore :P

It was insane, somehow I dodged 4 balls at once, I sort of leant forward, lifted one leg and jumped. How a 6'4 286lb guy didn't get hit is beyond me. Luck of the Scottish!

Comment

• SQUACKEE
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by big mac
                          I took part ina 32 team dodgeball tournament, took on 4 guys alone in the 1st game, turned it to 2 guys against one of their guys, got hit and then their guy caught the ball. We ended up 3rd out of 32 teams, must have been my lucky kilt I wore :P

It was insane, somehow I dodged 4 balls at once, I sort of leant forward, lifted one leg and jumped. How a 6'4 286lb guy didn't get hit is beyond me. Luck of the Scottish!
                          you sound like a natural for american football! boy, my niners could use ya right a boot now.
                          phsstt!

Comment

• bad hammy
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            you sound like a natural for american football! boy, my niners could use ya right a boot now.
                            Our niners could probably use you and me (bad hammy and all) right now - they suck . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X